This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl25 - J9s, 2nd pair into bluff

• Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Villain is super nitty.

11/5/ColdCall:8/3bet:1/AF:2.3/TurnCbet:22/Turn Pass on Cbet then fold:65/WTSD:25/W$SD:61/RiverAF:1.9/River bet W$SD: 86

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP+1: $46.91
      LP: $71.86
      CO: $21.52
      BTN: $68.00
      SB: $34.51
      BB: $40.74
      Hero (UTG): $32.59
      UTG+1: $62.50
      MP: $33.01

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25, MP+1 posts ante $0.05, LP posts ante $0.05, CO posts ante $0.05, BTN posts ante $0.05, SB posts ante $0.05, BB posts ante $0.05, Hero posts ante $0.05, UTG+1 posts ante $0.05, MP posts ante $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.80) Hero has 9:heart: J:heart:

Hero raises to $1.00, fold, MP calls $1.00, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $1.00, SB calls $0.90, fold

When I have not played a hand in some orbits except from the button, I like to play any suited connector/one gapper. It's bad idea to limp first in so I raise instead. No real whales, LAGs or maniacs at the table either. Mostly nits and passive fish.

I get called by one fish and two nits. Main villain is SB which stats you see above. He is only 3betting KK+ so I put him on a range of QQ-22, AQ and AK. Since their is already two callers he may have opened his cold calling range to some suited connectors but we can't really be sure about that.

Flop: ($4.70, 4 players) 9:spade: 6:club: Q:heart:
      SB bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, fold, fold

The nit donkbet smallish and I figure he has hit this flop with either a pair that don't want to face a big bet like TT-JJ, AQ for tptk that is doing a feeler bet or he has flopped a set and wants me to raise him.

Turn: ($6.70, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.00, SB calls $4.00

He checks. Now stats tells me that he usually folds if he bets on the flop and then checks the turn OOP. I decide to bet and get him to fold TT-JJ. He calls and I start to be more certain that he has AQ here.

River: ($14.70, 2 players) 5:heart:
      SB bets $2.00, Hero raises to $15.50, fold

Hero wins $17.81

I am 90% ruling out a full house by now. TT-JJ is not impossible but I think he would fold those to the turnbet. I believed this was a scared AQ doing a blockbet.
      So I went ahead and raised big believing he folds AQ in this spot, afraid of a full house or AA-KK.

While his river bet W$SD is very high, I would assume he would bet more with a stronger holding than a pair and that most of his opponents would usually just pay his blockbet on the river off with a call in this spot, also contributing to his high W$SD after a river bet. If we can even take any stock in that stat, I doubt this guy has bet that many times on the river over 1-2k hands.

I would just like some input on my reasoning. Am I correct in thinking he would usually fold tptk here and is that his most likely holding?
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you raised best hand on the river :)
      Don´t see him b/f river Qx too often, so I´d just call getting really good odds
      Also I´d prefer raising flop with my pair+backdoor draws, since his bet looks really weak and I´d rather take pot down on the flop than calling him down
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      This is the same villain as the 54s hand.
      What hand beside AQ/JJ/TT would you put him on?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      can´t he have there miss draw, like 78, JT or weak made hand, like 66-88
      But if you think he would always fold river, also better hands, then raising river is very good move and I don´t have any problem doing that. Problem is if you would turn there J9s into bluff and constantly would raise him on the river, then he would start b/c with Qx hands