Sports Banter.

• MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Right folks, we have a cracking weekend of sport ahead and I want to get some sports banter going!

Let’s be having your thoughts on the start of the Premiership, the Tri Nations, Tiger’s comeback, the England v India test. Who will you be rooting for this weekend? Will the Boks beat the Wallabies? Will Liverpool get off to a flying start? Will Tiger get some birdies? ;) Who will score the first Premiership goal?

It doesn't just stop there, as we also have the all Ireland Hurling semi finals and for all you Northerners, a bumper night of Super League on Friday night :)

Get posting!
  • 1426 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Really hoping the Premiership games go ahead this weekend for a start!

Looking forward to the Rugby World Cup also. I think Ireland have a realistic chance of success but it's hard to look past the All Blacks, especially on Home soil.

For the Premiership, I expect Man Utd to pip Chelsea for title number 20. Which is hard to say, being a devout Liverpool supporter. As for Liverpool, I'm gonna be realistic and say that a top 4 place is still out of reach. We still need some major improvements in defence and I don't think the money spent on Carroll and Henderson will prove worth it in the long run!

EDIT:

Being Irish, I should mention the All Ireland Hurling Semi Final!

Tipperary to wipe the floor with Dublin!
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      I for one cannot wait for the Premier League season to kick off on Saturday! Going to be the most open season in a while imo, with any one of 5 teams in with a realistic shot.

Yes, as a Gunner I did include Arsenal in that, not bias at all :D If we keep hold of Fabregas and Nasri, and sign that centre back we so desperately need, and manage to keep our key players fit, then we have a chance. Not asking for much to go our way :D
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      RWC/Tri Nations

All Blacks have no chance at the RWC *pre-emptive reverse psychology strike*.

Ireland have no chance at the RWC *LDO*.

Interesting to see what three weeks of "injury rehab" has done for the Boks first team. I suspect their forwards will be upset and looking for soft, squishy canary yellow clad rag dolls (David Pocock excluded LDO) to use as stress toys.

Glof

Tiger to get headlines in making the money.

Steve Williams to get headlines for being generally awesome for Adam Scott's game. Prolly be the second best win of his career... :f_p:

EPL

Preparing for another season of being mostly crap before Liverpool start winning games toward the end of the season again. Seems to be a habitual problem for all the teams I support. FML.

Test Cricket

WTF. Something is seriously wrong with the world when Engerland look like they can actually play a game they invented. Gotta be something to do with Draco Malfoy joining the Death Eaters and learning to bowl a decent line... RIP India already?

Hurling

One of the best games to watch as a complete novice IMHO. On the bucket list to attend a major game live one day.

NPC

Waikato to not f'k up v Otago on Sunday after their epic win yesterday against the Canterbury Shakers. What I care most about in the sporting world this weekend tbh.

Looting

Sanity to make a late comeback and take the day. Judiciary to sort out every muptard's transgression with extreme prejudice.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Hola,

@ HollyMichelle, as a fellow Koppite, I haven’t been this excited about a season for years. I agree the defense needs fresh legs, but let’s not focus on the negatives! I’m looking forward to Adam pinging it about and as for Suarez….. I see him tearing it up this season. Not convinced over Carroll, he looks like a poor imitation of ‘Big Dunc’, do you think he’ll start?

RE: RWC, Ireland look jaded to me, then again it could be one last hurrah for the ol’boys, anyone say ‘Dads Army’?  Your man Sean O’Brien looks some player, future Lions Captain??? Tipperary for the hurling and Kerry for the Football.

@ DannyG13, Nice to see a Gooner on here, I thought you lot would be crying in your cornflakes, Fabregas, Nasri, Glichy……. who’s next? At least Gervinho looks quality. Do you think you’ll finish above Spurs ;) 3-0 against the Magpies today?

@ Waiboy, Where do I begin??? All Blacks, no chance, you’re the Arsenal of the rugby world……..The RWC will be won by playing caveman rugby, look no further than the Boks or England. I hope you didn’t buy a lottery ticket this week mate? Tiger out and Liverpool will get off to a flyer!!

Defo agree with Steve Williams getting the best out of Adam Scott, surely he should now fulfill his undoubted potential? As for England’s cricket team, surreal… I can’t quite get my head around that one…. But bring on the Ashes! You could be right about India, they have some talent especially in their top order, but they’ve seemed to have lost their spark in this series. I was hoping for a really tight series, not the best so far. Too much Cricket being played? Good luck against Otago and with Wellington rocking up next, could be a good couple of weeks.

Looting: Breaking News: Libya now recognizes UK rioters as the official government of the UK. ;)
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      EPL season begins today and Danny will be crying in his cornflakes some more when the glorious NUFC hammer Arsenal 4-0. *preseason optimism required*

England will win the RWC, NZ will blow it again and I hope Liverpool never win a game all year.

As for the cricket? Well, we finally should be number 1 having demolished India in amazing fashion (although what were we doing declaring? Surely the 1000 was on?) so bring me some Aussies in Ashes form and let's gogogogo and crush them as well.

The football season is back and my life has purpose again.

That is all.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Ok, with less than a minute to kickoff, I am getting excited!

Come on Liverpool! Lets hit the ground running!
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      1-0 get in Suarez! Adam pinging it to Suarez, you read it here first!!
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      The poor old Aussies are moaning already, according to Shane Warne, yesterday was the worst day of test cricket ever??!! C'mon Warney dry your eyes mate, or your mascara will run.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      If the Aussies are moaning about us, we must be doing something right!
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      For sure, Chappell, McGrath, they'll be piping up now. Ashes; 3 in a row???
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      liverpool look like they are bottling it, Mark? 1-1....
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Same old story again this year. Really cant afford to drop points in these games
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Keep calm and carry on, Kenny'll sort it out.

MarcPS, as a magpie, how do you feel about becoming our feeder club? ;)
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by MarkQuick
      Keep calm and carry on, Kenny'll sort it out.

MarcPS, as a magpie, how do you feel about becoming our feeder club? ;)
      fine by me, you just keep paying ridiculous money for our players and as long as we actually spend some money, we'll be alright.

When you signed Enrique, a friend remarked:

I see Kenny's ruining our team again. At least this time he's not in charge of us.
      Hugely overrated as a manager, I think.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Kieron Dyer injured and England lose an abysmal game of rugby. After the surreal news that England are now the worlds no1 cricket team, nice to see normal service has been resumed in the world of sport.
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      I see Kenny's ruining our team again. At least this time he's not in charge of us.
      Touche Hombre, great quote!

Bad start for the reds, but great results for Bolton and Norwich. I have a feeling the Trotters could be dark horse's for this years FA Cup and as for Norwich, c'mon Delia lets be having you! :)

Now to settle down for the second half of Boks v Wallabies, with the Boks 6-0 up, it will be interesting to see how the Wallabies respond.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze

Hugely overrated as a manager, I think.
      Giving his previous Liverpool history, you won't find many who will agree.

Missing Gerrard as always although Adam is gonna be priceless and the two together will cause plenty of damage.

Jury is still out on Carroll, but the early signs are not good at all.

Not counting today's result but Liverpool are NOT going to win the PL. We still lack depth in plenty of areas and the £35m spent on Carroll would have gone along way to getting 2 decent strikers as opposed him.

David N'Gog as a sub? Seriously!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Such a blue and orange fest I thought I'd pop in ;)
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Can't believe Liverpool dropped 2 points today. I have been looking forward to the start of this season since before last season had even ended. Sunderland were always going to give us a good go but we should really have won the game.

Personally I think Flanagan and Henderson should not have been on from the start instead have Kelly and Kuyt.

Also why did Suarez even step up to take the peno? One of the main reasons we brought Adam was for his set piece abilities and the way he can hit a ball he should be our first choice taker.

Hope Kenny and the guys can put this behind us and improve for the rest of the season.