This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 pocket pair

• Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      Not sure if this has converted, first go with pokertracker.

Villain is pretty loose and has being playing a fair few hands, I think villan is about 44/15 over 25hands, from memory.

I call the initial 4bb raise in position set mining.

The flop comes low but I want to get the pot built. I'm hoping villain raised with a pair or maybe A-10 or 2 overcards and be willing to gamble. I put out a small bet hoping for villain to come over the top as he seems aggressive.

Villain re-raises, I'm not sure if he's on a hand at this point, I decide to call rather than risk making villain fold a bluff or small pair.

The turn is a blank, villain checks. I think villain is betting with a bluff 80% of the time for continuation and as the pot is now over a dollar.

As villain doesn't bet I put him on a hand, either top pair good kicker or a pocket pair, I bet half the pot to keep villain interested and to show a bit of weakness. I'm half hoping villain comes over the top and I can move all in.

Villain moves all in on the river. I can't see the flush, I am a little worried about a possible straight but think villain would have folded on the turn with straight possibilities. I put villain on an overpair or a pair of 10s and call.

Should I have pushed harder on the turn? did I get greedy?

Are there any other mistakes?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: $4.75
      UTG+1: $3.56
      Hero (MP): $5.84
      CO: $1.71
      BTN: $2.49
      SB: $3.80
      BB: $1.75

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 5:club: 5:spade:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.47, 2 players) 8:club: 5:diamond: T:spade:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.10, UTG+1 raises to $0.33, Hero calls $0.23

Turn: ($1.13, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50

River: ($2.13, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets $2.53 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.53

UTG+1 shows J:diamond: Q:diamond: (Flush, Queen High) (PreFlop 51%, Flop 17%, Turn 23%)
      Hero shows 5:club: 5:spade: (Three of a Kind, Fives) (PreFlop 49%, Flop 83%, Turn 77%)
      UTG+1 wins $6.84
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Phildini,

Flop & turn are just really horrible. But as played the river I don't really see what kind of hands we beat. Some SDs completed even a backdoor FD completed. I'd rather lay-down on river as we played that passively on previous streets.

Seems like a draw here rather than some made hand.

Best regards.
    • Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz,

Once again you are correct sir.

I thought I'd played it ok, but having read your comments and re-assessed I did play like an absolute random NIT. Next time its solid value bets all the way.

From time to time I seem to get greedy and play poorly to extract maximum value to just then lose a load when it fails.

I'm very glad I posted this now, thankyou for the feedback :s_biggrin: