[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Pre Flop All-In

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Not much to say I guess, except that villian had been very aggressive pre-flop & had been all-in with worse hands than AK twice in last 20 odd hands.

Only thing to note for me was that I didn't take this too well. I like to be up after each session & I think this put me on some kind of tilt for a while. Not great and something I need to work on I reckon.

Didn't spew too many overall, but it did make me more inclined to call with what I knew were marignal hands and contributed to one more large loss (JJ vs 10's) that perhaps would have been a smaller loss if I had a better mentality. Ended up finishing session down, but only a little so had made up most of the losses.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.98
      BB:
      $1.32

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , K:spade:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB raises to $1.32 (All-In), Hero raises to $1.98 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Flop: ($2.64) 3:spade: , 2:heart: , 2:diamond:
      Turn: ($2.64) 5:club:
      River: ($2.64) J:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.64

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ad Ks)
      BB shows two-pair, jacks and deuces (Ac Js)

BB wins with two-pair, jacks and deuces (Ac Js)
  • 4 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well if you'd seen him go all in with worse recently then there's no mistake here :) I would recommend not focussing so much on short term results though. I made a post in my blog recently about the negative effect of looking at results in a session-by-session timescale. Basically the extremity of negative emotions when you see a losing session outweighs the positive emotions experienced when you book a winning session. This basically leads to a "happiness deficit" if you will. And since, as poker players, we play a high variance game, generally our winning sessions : losing sessions ratio is almost at 50:50. Over the long term looking at results on such a short timescale will lead to an increased stress level :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Increased stressed levels & worse play all around not a good combination. Usually results in losing chips at an alarming rate.

Funny thing is that I had won for 7 sessions in a row, and yet I was peeved because I would struggle to make it an 8th. Clearly a case of requiring a better mentality, it can probably make the biggest difference to my overall win rate, all it takes is one bad call & could ruin any gains from good/fancy plays.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Just to add that I have been reading your blog after you mentioned it. Top work, very entertaining, only stopped reading when I realised its far too late and I have to get to sleep for work tomorrow!

Whats your opinion on moving up the limits, my BR is pretty small $77 (ish), but apart from that I feel I'm largely ready as I'm a winning player at nl2. Used to have more money but FT took it!

Maybe its best to get BR up to $100 to have correct amount of buy-ins for NL5?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Haha thank you :) Feel free to drop by and comment whenever.

With regards to BRM, I feel to take a comfortable shot at a limit you should have around 20BI. But if you can be disciplined in moving down and you know you won't alter your play due to the higher amounts of money involved then I see no reason why you shouldn't take a 2I shot. Or, you could try Alternatively, you could try this BRM strategy that I found very interesting :)