Jayz Poker Quest to Big Pay Dayz

• LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Alright, so after recently posting in the beginners section about multi-tabling, and seeing the potential these past few days, I've decided to begin from the very bottom and aim for the top!

A little fish DREAMING BIG, just what fairytales are made of ;)

A little background:

Went to university for Games programming, and after the first year although doing well I felt it wasn't for me and decided to try a Advertising and Marketing course which I was thoroughly enjoying (had a few of my own sites and campaigns making me money).

I was then hit with a double-edged sword when I met my girlfriend (at uni), both because it drastically change my life in a negative way, but has since turned into a positive and one I could not be more happy with.

She fell pregnant, and I told her that I would support any decision she made. We both decided that with this we'd be better of just dropping out of our courses before we got into any more debt due to the responsibility of a child getting in the way of our courses.

Ofcourse in secret we both regretted this in our minds, but due to her mindset of not wanting to kill something living, we rallied on.

Anyway the time came, and a sudden change of heart happened and we both changed our minds overtime.

Were now a happy family with our own home, and my partner is a care home worker whilst I'm a happy stay at home dad.

I've still got money saved from my time as a roulette player and was able to afford to start at a $50 BR with no issues, or without having to risk money we need.

I've got most of the day available to me as the baby runs about in the living room whilst I'm able to play on the laptop, and I have all the night available when my gf gets back or the baby is put to bed.

So I've decided to see if I can simply supplement our income (as a first goal), and then finally see if I can take our life style to the next level.

We are earning as a house hold, and I have money saved away that can be used for anything so it's the perfect time to try at this.

I'm going to do it the proper tight way, starting from the smallest stakes and going up one by one once my BR reaches the recommended threshold.

200 BB = 1 BI, and 25 BI at all times to stay within that stake.

So 200 BB at NL2 is $2 x 25 = $50 BR

Next level would be NL4 so I would need a BR of 200 to moved up.

If anyone thinks I'm playing too tight do say so, and I'll take it into consideration. I'll be playing 4 tables at a time with Poker Tracker as I've been able to still make acceptable decisions with such action going on. I think any more would be a struggle at the moment so I'm happy with 4.

I will be starting my own blog/website at pokerquest.co.uk so that I can include extras, freebies and more that I may not otherwise be able to on here. It may also be a good little cash generator as I have some experience with Internet Marketing so by recommending books I've personally read, or poker rooms that I play on I may be able to supplement some of my BR.

I will also be able to post videos, and more extras, but for now it'll act as a second blog, one that'll be slightly more updated than this one but the meat of what's going on should still be posted here on the forum for anyone only wanting to know the good bits.

So without further ado, here are the starting stats:

Bankroll: $50 (I have more I've won over the last few days)
      Starting Limit: NL2
      Starting Date: 15th August (the monday)
      Poker Room: Party Poker (for now)
      Extras: Read Harrington on Cash Volume 2, watch regular videos here, there, and everywhere! Post hands when I am doubtful of what I should have done, or I didn't get the outcome I expected.

Here it is, NL2 to sky's the LIMIT!! ;)
  • 28 replies
    • pepsico
      pepsico
      Bronze
      Nice intro. Welcome! Do keep us updated on your results. Good luck!
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Thank-you! I look forward to the roller coaster.

One thing I missed mentioning, I'm 22 years of age from Spain, but living in the UK for anyone wondering ;)
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      One more thing, baring in mind I'm using Poker Tracker, what stats could I best post in everyone's interest?

Such as, under the Cash Games tab, what tab would people most like to see? The summary graph tab?

And if so, how often would you like to see it?

I want people to get just as involved, so I'll post anything at popular request.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Where abouts in the UK are you living? :)

Stats that are most useful are things such as VPIP (Voluntarily Put Money in Pot), PFR (Preflop Raise), 3bet, Aggression Factor, Flop Continuation Bet, Fold to Flop Continuation Bet, WTSD (Went to Showdown), W$SD (Won $ at Showdown).

You can also set up a HUD to show your opponents stats in-play at the tables. This will help you with multitabling :D
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Hey Wriggers, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it ;D It's kinda alien to understand at the moment.

Such as the VP under people's name etc, I'll figure it out hehe.

I'm from Northampton, and went to University in Luton. Currently living in Northampton again now.
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Update:

If you check the site I've implemented a Theme I purchased a while back, though because I have no content it isn't displaying properly.

Here's a link to the proper theme when it's got content:

http://themeforest.net/item/periodic-a-premium-wordpress-magazine-theme/full_screen_preview/146174

Let me know what you guys think about it.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Good luck LoOkzor, it's great to see you in our blog section! I'm looking forward following you. :club:
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Thank you very much :) Not long now, D Day is monday!
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Update:

The bad news:

My girlfriend is a gamer herself, she figured after I explained some poker to her that she wanted to help and logging to my account, playing a single table with all of the bankroll. After losing 40 in one swoop, she quickly logged of lol..

I would be angry, but life is too short and things like this happen, she had the best intentions but didn't know what she was getting herself into...

The good news (kinda):

I'm sticking to no more deposits. Let's see if I can take this $10 up back to $50 without any down swings.

Good news though, after I saw what happened, I did decided to play a max of 400 cards, multi tabling with 4 tables, for an average of $1.16 p/h and a total profit of $2.

Could say I started early, and am +2 profit on my first day, but I'm not going to count it and begin the count up from monday.

You never know, due to this happening my journey could end prematurely (LOL). Obviously I'll reload as I couldn't control the outcome, but It'll be awesome to see if I can work with this BR.
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Update, I woke up today and decided I felt like playing roughly 1 k hands today. Split up in either 2-3 sessions.

So far I've played 300 hands and currently up +$2.23 for my first session. Played some stupid hands, and came over the top on my last hand AA vs KK All-in preflop if not I'd of broken even on the session..

Total profit so far:

+$4.23
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Hey LoOkzor,

Nice story, I look forward to following your blog mate. Do you speak Spanish?
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Yep, fairly fluent in speaking spanish, my written spanish isn't great but its understandable.

The reason I can still speak it fluent is due to my dad only being able to speak spanish, meaning I have to speak it every time I see him which is often.

Pero no puedo escribirlo bien, no se q paso pero ya no me viene, y lo encuentro muy dificil ;(
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Pues si hablamos en castellano (español) podría mejorar su escrito? Seria una pena de no practicarlo me pareces. Ademas a mi tambien me hace falta porque mi novia es Americana y no hablamos castellano en casa! Que te parece?
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Me parece bien, pero veo q lo puedes escribir mejor q yo jaja ;D

Veremos como me va escribiendo en castellano, ala! A mejorando jeje
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

So before my quest to grinding from NL2+ begins, I’ve got a few updates to fill:

Firstly, I did plan on playing on Party Poker with a BR of $50 but after my girlfriend logged in a lost $40 of it trying to help and without rakeback on my party poker account it became clear that this might be the chance to amend those mistakes and start over.

Following that issue, I went to Poker Strategy and looked up some of their promotions. After looking at my choices for a while I settled with the William Hill 200% match up to $2000 and deposited roughly $15 which would give me around 45 dollars total.

A little shy off $50 which would be a lot more adequate for BR management but nothing too bad.

As it stands my plan is the following:

$45 BR
      Poker Site: William Hill
      Hands p/d: 1,000
      Hands p/m: 30,000
      Minimum $ Earned in Month: 100$
      Split sessions into 2-3
      Play 4-6 tables tiled

Other Goals:

Each day I must re-read parts of the books Harrington on Online Cash Games 6max, and Harrington on Cash Games Volume I and II which I feel I need a better grip on

Review sessions after

Watch videos as they become available on this site, and some of the strategy article although a lot of it I may have already read in the 3 books I'm reading.

That should pretty much cover anything anyone needs to know for now. Tomorrow D-Day begins and I can’t wait :D should be fun!
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Alright guys, so as I'm typing this it's 11:49 PM GMT and I'm yet to begin my challenge. I've not yet started because of the baby needing attention throughout the day and then later watching a plethora of videos at Deuces Cracked (highly recommended btw) to get an even better handle on the subject. After reviewing the videos, I'm really considering getting BalugaWhale as a Coach when my BR builds up.

As of now, I've today managed to watch roughly 5-7 videos (I forget), mainly on a coaching series with BalugaWhale coaching a girl called "Kristy" from NL50 upwards, and some mathematical and hand reading videos. Very slowly I'm starting to see a very common strategy recommended amongst micro-stakes and can see how it might be less exploitable in higher-stake games.

I also managed to re-read the section's Post-flop play and Hand Reading in the book Harrington on Cash Games Volume I.

As I read more, and watch more videos I seem to be getting closer to the "Aha!" moment. I feel after 1-2 more videos I'm goin to start the session, which would count as tomorrow but as I've not yet gone to sleep so I'll count it as the same day.

I don't think I've done so bad considering I've only been back roughly 1 week or less, and when I did try to play in 2008 I never really got the chance to research any more past page 80 in the book Harrington on Cash Games Volume I so I wasn't really educated on how I should play and easily forgot any small info I did have on playing poker.

I'm very fortunate to have read the amount of information I have over a period of less than a week and not have information overload (3 full books, tons of videos and tons of forums threads), which is usually very common amongst beginners, and probably would have been likely back in 2008; but due to the things I've involved myself in over the last few years has meant constantly bombarding my brain with new info, helping me to actually make info stick even after huge amount of information input.

Hopefully tonight's games goes great! ;)

TAKEN FROM MY BLOG (which I'm using to log more often), so people don't get confused with the time it's written and my forum post.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      I assume your girlfriend now live in your garden in a tent. I was kind of excited when you said you were going to work the $10 back up. I used to blow $20 every second weekend before I started to take it seriously and then decided to start my bankroll with free rolls. It took forever but I am so much more careful with my bank roll since I know how much effort I put into starting it. Good luck with your challenge
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Hehe thank-you :) unfortunately she still sleeps in the same bed :> I still need the sex right? ;)

I forgave her given the fact that aside from working, she also earns several hundred a month playing flash games at http://king.com, so she figured poker couldn't be much different from figuring and perfecting a flash game.

I use to make, and still do make several hundred from sites like these too, but I don't play as often as I've kinda mastered the games I'm good in and find it now very boring without the motivation to learn new games.

I've actually missed a HUGE part of my life prior to UNI, and something I still did during UNI:

I use to be a professional PC Gamer, and usually a lot of poker pros are from what I've seen retired gamers, either casual or competitive.

I use to play professionally in Call of Duty 2, and Call of duty 4, getting sponsored to travel around the world and play my favourite game against people from other countries in tournaments.

Travelling for free rocks =P Anyway, short story: We were the best team in the world at Call of duty and were sponsored by companies such as: Razer, Intel, AMD, EA, Dell, LG to name a few. We even got free products shipped by all these sponsors to test and write reviews about, and in return we got to keep them.

The best sponsor product I ever got given (but only on lease) was the Dell XPS gaming laptop which I used to take to UNI instead of my huge desktop PC.

Either way, that part of my life is now over and I'm looking to challenge my self at something else. Unfortunately I deal with nothing better than best so failing isn't an option. I currently as I've said make a small income from flash games, and I also have a project in the works that should be a good household income once finished (outsourced a huge project on elance.com to build a site that has huge potential). Otherwise I have a few other sites that make money here and there so life isn't too bad and I have a lot of time to play poker.

A few videos for those wanting to challenge the truthfulness to my being a professional gamer:

I'm the pale white guy with the weird english voice :D

If you want to skip to a funny part go to 9:35 roughly, where the interviewer says and I quote "Jason, £5000 rich, £1000 richer to you, how does that make you feel?"

Me:

"I'm gonna have to give it back cuz I'm in debt" *people laugh* =(

Me again: "but yea, it feels pretty good but I'm still in debt anyway" *more people laugh at me*.

This was how I still manage to somehow keep my debt under control lol

Oh and clandestineAl. Incase it interests you, I did continue to play on Party Poker these last few days and got my roll back up to $40, so you could assume my william hill amount is just the roll I built up right? ;)
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Update, few AA vs QQ-99 situations where unfortunately I got rivered.

Fell down to 4 dollars, then I started stacking back up to 13 dollars before losing another $6.5 vs KK (QQ for me), flop hits with a Q, somehow he bets AI with two low cards on board, and turns a K. Bleh!

I wrongly thought that I would get the 30 dollars insta like before but I actually have to slowly clear it so I am infact starting from a small BR :) .

It now sits at rouhgly $6.58, but I have been playing solid for hours with 1k+ hands only to lose them in huge pots all in with Pocket pair vs each other ;(

About to sit down at todays $100 freeroll so lets see how that goes.

The last freeroll I played a few days ago I came 40th out of 11 k on party poker so lets hope for a good run!