LP: $5.33
      CO: $4.00
      BTN: $7.49
      SB: $5.40
      Hero (BB): $6.00
      UTG: $5.96

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.06

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero has J:spade: J:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.21, fold, fold, MP+1 calls $0.21, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.66, 3 players) 3:club: T:spade: 6:heart:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.42, MP+1 calls $0.42, Hero calls $0.42

Turn: ($1.92, 3 players) 5:spade:
      Hero checks, UTG checks, MP+1 bets $1.44, Hero calls $1.44, fold

River: ($4.80, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero checks, MP+1 checks

Hero shows J:spade: J:diamond: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 81%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      MP+1 shows T:club: T:heart: (Three of a Kind, Tens) (Pre 19%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      MP+1 wins $4.52

I think that I played this hand horrible I mean on the turn... I should have donk bet on the turn and play bet/fold. what do u think?
  • 5 replies
    • Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      this is more discussion than advice cos I'm not the worlds greatest.

I find a hand like this very tricky.

You have JJ which is a very strong hand, however you are out of position against an UTG aggressor.

Unless you have a prior read utg is likely to be strong, MP1's call shows weakness.

I would probably re-raise as I don't want to play a flop out of position against unknown ranges.

I raise preflop to try and take MP1s dead money and also to assess what UTG has. If utg moves all in I fold. Anything else I assess once its happened.

The hand then becomes very tricky as there's likely 2 pocket pairs that might have hit, or alternatively utg has AK and is conti-betting. Either way again I think raise to find out or fold on the flop.
    • PewPewPoker
      PewPewPoker
      Bronze
      Hi BGawli,

I think this hand is very read dependant. Is UTG very loose aggressive, or rather a TAG? If he is a TAG, I would fold the turn I think. I just cant think of any hand you would beat. AT maybe, but most players don't raise this hand from UTG. I don't see him bet 77, 88 or 99 on the turn, so the range I would put him on is TT+ and maybe AsJs+ (and if he opens every pocketpair, 33 and 66 as well) and you're not doing very well against that range.

So unless he is some kind of lag/maniac, i would c/f the turn. It might sound weak to fold an overpair, but don't underestimate the fact that he opened from UTG (which indicates a strong range in de first place).

Good luck at the tables :)

-Manuel
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello BGawli,

Most likely I'd be inclined to fold it on turn, we don't beat that many holdings.

Best regards.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      thanks guys for posts!!!
      3B preflop vs unknown player for UTG is out of question...

Coach... when I decided to just call preflop JJ, should I treat it for hiting set like 22-TT?
      I hate play OP passively what do u think if I donkbet on the flop and turn?
      Look at this hand... I called two streets and I was passive and I could have won this pot only by kindness opponent at showdown... if I bet on the flop and after on the turn I would have been probably rr and I would have made to fold but there is a lot fold equity. In both situation I would lose the same amount of money but with one detail. In first I took passive line, in second aggressive line. I think that aggression is better.
      I played this hand like u said, I mean on the flop... I still don't understand this line.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Coach... when I decided to just call preflop JJ, should I treat it for hiting set like 22-TT?

Something similar but we still can play it as an overpair too. :)