[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Attempted to isolate...

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Tried to isolate in position, however it went fairly horribly wrong!

Felt I had to call the raise Pre-flop as my odds were too good not too.

Ignoring the nasty result (was a bad evening for that) how was the play. Bit naive raising here, and better just to call?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $1.23
      MP3:
      $0.64
      CO:
      $1.87
      Hero:
      $2.01

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , T:club:
      3 folds, MP1 raises to $0.07, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.07, CO calls $0.07, Hero raises to $0.38, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.31, MP3 raises to $0.64 (All-In), CO folds, Hero calls $0.26, MP1 calls $0.26.

Flop: ($2.02) A:heart: , K:spade: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero raises $1.37 (All-In), MP1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($2.02) 6:club:
      River: ($2.02) J:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.02

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows three-of-a-kind, fives (5h 5c)
      Hero shows (Ad Tc)

MP3 wins with three-of-a-kind, fives (5h 5c)
  • 2 replies
    • PewPewPoker
      PewPewPoker
      Bronze
      Hi again :) ,

I get your idea preflop, but when 3 people already have entered the pot, AT is just too weak to 3bet with (definitely when short stacks have entered, because you will be commiting yourself against them). Its very tempting to get into a hand when a bad opponent enters the hand (or in this case, bad opponents), but ATo is just not good enough IMO. I'd rather call with a suited connector or small pocket pair since they will pay off very frequently, than 3bet a marginal hand. It's just going to be too hard to play postflop (especially when multiple opponents call) and that could cost you a lot of money.

Since these opponents reaaaally suck, you could call, but I would only continue wiht at least 2 pair, and since that doesnt happen very frequently, folding is OK too. I would fold most of the times actually. in this spot 89s is waaaaaay better then ATo :)

-Manuel
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I agree with PewPewPoker here :) When you squeeze here the chances are at least one of them will have a hand, and since one of them is shortstacked and the other two aren't even full stacks then you get committed to the pot with a marginal hand that is likely to be dominated by a lot of his shoving range :)