[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Flush HU

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Could I have got much more value out of this hand?

From villians actions I wasn't too worried about being potentially behind with such a strong hand, even on a paired board, a full-house or better flush would raise most times. As a result I wanted to get as much money in the pot as possible.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.46
      BB:
      $0.88

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:heart: , 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.04) K:heart: , Q:heart: , T:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.03, BB calls $0.03.

Turn: ($0.10) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, BB calls $0.08.

River: ($0.26) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.2, BB calls $0.20.

Final Pot: $0.66

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, king high (9h 6h)
      BB shows (Ah 5c)

Hero wins with a flush, king high (9h 6h)
  • 2 replies
    • PewPewPoker
      PewPewPoker
      Bronze
      Hi Philfox,

There are a few things I noticed in the hand.
      First of all, I don't really like the open complete form the SB. Since you're going to be OOP for the rest of the hand, you really have only 2 options: raising or folding. If you notice he folds a lot to your steals or cbets, 96s is definitely a raise. If you raise in stead of completing, you will gain much more money because
      a) he folds instantly and you win 2ct and your own SB back
      b) he folds to your cbet, and you win 8ct
      c) when you hit the board with a really strong and disguised hand (like 2 pair, trips or a monsterdraw), you gain much more money then when you completed.

As played, I would pot the flop since the pot is so small. the turn i would pot as well, and the riverbet is good IMO.

Good luck at the tables :)

- Manuel
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      As PewPewPoker said, a raise is much preferred preflop with quite a strong hand HU. Postflop I think you played it well personally, but realise that if you'd have played the same postflop, but had raised preflop as well you would gain a lot more :)

Say you raise to $0.06 and he calls, that's $0.12 in the pot so far.

On the flop you bet $0.10 and he calls, the pot bloats to $0.32.

You hit the turn and bet again, around $0.25, and he calls again, the pot is now $0.82.

The river comes and villain only has $0.47 behind, a perfect sie for you to shove and get paid off by worse :)

You see, just by that extra $0.04 investment preflop you are easily able to build the pot when you hit a strong hand and get a profit of nearly 3 times what you actually got :)