Is this real??

• b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      Hi..Last night i heard something wiard abt poker and i'm curious if its real!!
      Are there bots on poker sites??Like programs that play for you and do exactly what u set them to do.The person that told me said that on Pokerstars are more the 10k bots.
      Unwilling to look like a fish i avoided with style the discussion and came here to ask for help!!
  • 38 replies
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      verry nice, the part about avoiding the discussion to come here first =)

dont have much of worth to contribute to the discussion tough, try google poker bots, i did once when the subject was originally brought to me,

if there are, dont be too bothered by it, i at least know they are no 10k bots at Pokerstars, and also, just imagine how exploitable one of those bots could be with a decent HUD and human creativity/intelligence =)

looking forwad too hear what ppl have too say about this tough =)

interesting thread...
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      yes, but they suck anyway. it's definitely profitable for any decent player to play against them
    • ManoloB99
      ManoloB99
      Bronze
      Of course there are.

What would be a bot? Certainly not an R2D2 type behind a keyboard. But how difficult would it be for someone with some programming skills to develop a program that reads hole cards and flopped cards and reacts accordingly?

Just think about what a bot would be? Nothing but a set of automated instructions that would be executed based on a current scenario.

The trick would be what parameters you would use. After all, garbage in, garbage out.

I wouldn't mind playing a bot. I am sure they would be very exploitable.
    • soapy27
      soapy27
      Bronze
      i dont really know much about bots, but i did read on someones blog/post that they when they play against bots they just constantly raise on their blinds (i think that was it) and make plenty of money off them by stealing. but yea u should google it
    • b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      ty guys..i would mind to play a bot to..would be imposible to program it to play solid
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I'd go broke to bots likely. It's all got to do with a lack of that bloody 'creative intelligence' thingy. Sigh. :f_cry:
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by b0b01111
      ty guys..i would mind to play a bot to..would be imposible to program it to play solid
      You could get surprised.... bots indeed could be made crushing anyone HU.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Im a bot and i crush pretty much everything
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Im a bot
      Me too :P
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Im a bot and i crush pretty much everything
      Double lol .Great signature ! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • sinsas
      sinsas
      Silver
      Originally posted by Zhusy
      zero chance, any bot against decent NL100-200 reg would be destroyed
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sinsas
      They said that for chess too...

But lets say as a coder I think a decently coded bot would be more then capable to crush nl200 tables. There are too many aspects that someone needs to consider. The 2000 code lines bots that are on the micro limit tables just can't be compared to what someone could make. I am talking about something different not about the current bots been abused by randoms.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sinsas
      They said that for chess too...

But lets say as a coder I think a decently coded bot would be more then capable to crush nl200 tables. There are too many aspects that someone needs to consider. The 2000 code lines bots that are on the micro limit tables just can't be compared to what someone could make. I am talking about something different not about the current bots been abused by randoms.
      i don't think so. maybe nl50 at most, but nl200? regs use their brain there. btw all the bots i've seen were breakeven or losers nl5-10 players
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I haven't read this myself, but you guys might be interested.

http://pokerai.org/pf3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2548

I suspect us humans are screwed in the long run, and poker will end up being played live only.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      the long run is longer than what we think, they say... hope it's true.

online poker will be dead in a few years anyway, meh.
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      This link made me pretty angry....
      what can be done to prevent this, some crazy validations?

damn...

guess i took this too lightly at first, but come to think of it, we've achived some pretty crazy things with AI/Botting so guess our game is next unless something's done...
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I think these will somehow be blocked by the sites then someone will find a way around it, and the sites will again make the effort to block the new technologies.. and so on.

My guess is that a bot for chess is easier because there is no unknown or missing information. (I have seen people beating the computer at chess after months of trial and error!) And a creative poker player will probably go around the codes anyway!
    • Gunn56
      Gunn56
      Bronze
      My game is like a bot for now till I read n study articles n books on pokerstrategy :) ...
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      [edited by purplefizz: Sorry had to remove links to competitor sites which are not allowed]