Bad Play or Bad Luck?

• Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      Hi

I'm not really familiar with any MTT's so I have a few questions about my yesterday's result. I was playing PartyPoker's Daily Points Store Gadget Giveaway with 10 PartyPoint buy in and $1000 prize pool (yea, I know, I'm a coward for not playing any real money MTT's :tongue: ). The first 3-4 hours of the game went perfect. I kept getting big hands and hitting with em on the flop, twice I even managed to suck out pocket AA-s. Once with pre-flop all in (I held AKs, villain AA and I hit flush on the turn) and once when the villain raised with AA pre flop, I called with AQ, hit trip queens on the flop, he shoved, I shoved, I won. It was going good.

So then, there were about 2-3 tables left, I held the 7th position and had a chip stack of a bit over 20 BB. I was in early position with ATo, I raised. Everybody folds, CO shoves all in, SB and BB fold. I call. The community cards come 7 7 7 3 and a random one. The villain held 33. I lost 80-90% of my chip stack and had about 2.5 BB left.

Within the next hands, I shoved all in about 4 times, if I'm correct. Twice with AT, once with AK and once with KQ. I managed to win them all except for one with AT (villain held KK), but as he had less chips than I at that moment I still stayed in the game.

So, at one point, I had built my bankroll up to about 8 big blinds. Yea, not much, but considering the all in action that went down I wasn't complaining.

2 tables left, and the same scenario that happened the first time I lost most of my stack took place:

I was somewhere in the early position again, raised with ATs. Everybody folds, but the same guy that won me last time with 33 shoved. I shove, too.
      He holds KJo and hits a jack on the flop, I get nothing and finish at 18 position. Won $5.50. I was pretty disappointed because after such a good tournament I really wanted to get to the final table and go for the big prizes, but had to accept with winning peanuts.

So, guys. Was I playing bad or was it just bad luck?

I myself am pretty sure that the last shove I made with ATs was indeed correct, as I had less than 10 BB left and had already invested in the pot by raising first. But I am not so sure about whether it was correct to go all in against that 33 with AT? I mean, he was pretty lucky to hit with that small pair, but he could have held much better cards like JJ+ or AJ+. What you all think?

And by the way, thanks for reading the whole thing through, I just need some opinions here cause the way I went bust is really bothering me :s_confused:

Free
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      If you are in early position, would you raise A9o? I hope that's not a standard play for you. Sometimes ATo is a fold in early position, too. There is just too high of a chance that someone after you will have a premium hand. If you do raise it from early position, ATo is probably at the bottom of your range. Usually you want to fold the hands at the bottom of your range when you get reraised as long as you aren't getting pot odds of better than 2:1. So, when you raised ATo in early position, that might or might not have been a mistake, but I doubt it was correct to call the reraise push. You should be very relieved you were only up against 33 instead of hands like AK or JJ.

When you have under 10 bb, the usual open-raise is a shove. If you make a smaller raise, you sometimes encourage players to resteal with marginal hands because they might think they have folding equity. Also, the blinds can choose whether to reraise all-in, or to call to see the flop, perhaps using a stop-and-go. If a player in the blinds calls and then pushes on the flop, this can be very uncomfortable and you don't know whether the blind is doing that on every flop or only with ones which are good for his hand.
    • Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      If you are in early position, would you raise A9o? I hope that's not a standard play for you. Sometimes ATo is a fold in early position, too. There is just too high of a chance that someone after you will have a premium hand. If you do raise it from early position, ATo is probably at the bottom of your range. Usually you want to fold the hands at the bottom of your range when you get reraised as long as you aren't getting pot odds of better than 2:1. So, when you raised ATo in early position, that might or might not have been a mistake, but I doubt it was correct to call the reraise push. You should be very relieved you were only up against 33 instead of hands like AK or JJ.

When you have under 10 bb, the usual open-raise is a shove. If you make a smaller raise, you sometimes encourage players to resteal with marginal hands because they might think they have folding equity. Also, the blinds can choose whether to reraise all-in, or to call to see the flop, perhaps using a stop-and-go. If a player in the blinds calls and then pushes on the flop, this can be very uncomfortable and you don't know whether the blind is doing that on every flop or only with ones which are good for his hand.
      No, I wouldn't raise A9o. I mostly play NL10 short stack strategy so my range is usually pretty small and playing style tight. One of the reasons I did call the villain's 33 all in at first was the fact that I saw lots of shoves with mediocre hands before (e.g. K9) in that table and was hoping that it was the same this time (well, it practically was a mediocre hand but he still did beat mine and I do have to accept the fact that it wasn't the smartest thing for me to call that AI).

About that second hand, with my raise I was more hoping that everybody would fold, which they obviously didnt. Going straight all in probably would have been the better thing to do with such a short stack, so again I have to admit that you probably are right.

Thanks for the input pzhon, I'll try to avoid these mistakes in the future. Another PartyPoker Gadget Giveaway coming up today, I'll do my best to get to the final table this time ;)