Climbing up the limits

• spastai
      spastai
      Bronze
      I want to play upper limits SNGs as may bankroll allows me, but the thing is, that I'm not very successfull. Actually, I've played about 10 times, and I've lost most of them. I was in the only few times.
      But what should I do (I know Pete law) ?
      Usually I'm mixing - I open some tables with lower limits and some with higher. Is it bad practice? Seems like I cannot concentrate on new limits very well , but still playing in lower limits is good for my bankroll :)
  • 3 replies
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      Play less tables, up to two I would say. Try to stay focused and try to put opponents at ranges of hands. Play 1usd STTs and play tight aggressive non-spewy style.

Read, reread and master basics. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/1824/1/

Don't try to win 500usd with 30usd bankroll in a week.

Best wishes
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Your bankroll might let someone else play in high stakes games, but if you are not a winning player in those games they are not safe for you.

A winning penny-ante player is closer to a winning high stakes player than a losing high stakes player is. Start off low, and move up as your skill allows, not your balance. It is ok to play $1 SNGs with a $10,000 bankroll.

When you move up, I think you should focus on the higher level. If you play all tables at the new level, you will have an easier time identifying multitablers. A relatively safe way to try a new level is to set a budget of, say, 20 buy-ins. Set an amount of play, such as 100 tournaments. After you hit the stop-loss or that number of tournaments, review your play. See whether you feel you have an advantage over your opponents. If a shot doesn't work, or if you are not comfortable, just drop back down to your old stakes. You can try again later if you feel you have improved.
    • spastai
      spastai
      Bronze
      These are really nice answers, thank you very much!