BB: $10.80
      UTG: $15.80
      UTG+1: $25.00
      MP: $25.20
      CO: $25.75
      Hero (BTN): $25.00

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BTN with T :diamond: T :heart:
      UTG raises to $1, 3 folds, Hero calls $1, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 7 :heart: 3 :heart: 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.75, Hero raises to $4.50, UTG calls $2.75

Turn: ($11.35) 7 :club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $10.30 all in, Hero folds

Final Pot: $11.35
      UTG wins $10.80

I've just seen that hand on 2+2 forums. Why does this situation call for a raise on the flop?
  • 4 replies
    • PewPewPoker
      PewPewPoker
      Bronze
      I guess he raises because a) he wants to protect his hand against FD/overcards (especially overcards since they will be in the range of an UTG raiser alot) and b) for information.

But this is just what I think and it could be wrong of course :P
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      its a hard spot....you must know villain cbet % to know when correctly raise him there...
      if he cbets all flops and turns i would just flat for max value...

he just called on the flop and donks the turn when 7 hits...its a snap call here 90% of the time i think.... i dont know villain but looking at the the hand and the position where did he raise from he just hasn't got a lot of 7ns in his range and even if he has, why should he donk the turn if youre the aggressor, unless he has history with you and plays really tricky.
      if he had an overpair 1010+, i think hes shoving the flop...or checkraising the turn also....or again SOMETIMES they donk the turn with 1010+ there just to mix it up or they played it safe, they saw a turn and donked....but i dont see how they are extracting value from that donk bet....thats why i think its a snapcall....
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Hi there,

This thread was created in the Discussion Forums, but it should rightfully belong in the hand evaluation forums. (you will see it as a subforum above). I will move it there now. Just want to flag that so you will create it in the proper section next time and so that our awesome hand judges can see it and comment on it :)

Also it helps if you take a look at our hand evaluation rules.

These rules help our hand evaluation forum run more smoothly. Thanks so much for your cooperation. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to let me know ;)

smiles,
      wendy
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think raising flop is fine and playing for stacks. Turn doesn´t really change anything, so I would pretty much snapcall there