[NL2-NL10] NL2 MSS AK Continuation bet

• Elertar
      Elertar
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position
      MP3

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:spade:
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0,08, Hero raises to $0,24, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,16.

Flop: ($0,51) 9:club: , 4:club: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0,36, MP3 calls $0,36.

Turn: ($1,23) 7:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1,23) 8:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0,58, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1,81

I'm wondering whether my continuation bet in the flop was too aggressive or not and if I folded correctly in the river.
  • 6 replies
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      its a pretty dry flop and you have A of clubs for a nut blocker.
      I sometimes fire 2 bullets in this situations...but i think most of the time you should cbet there:)
    • Elertar
      Elertar
      Bronze
      I sometimes fire 2 bullets in this situations...but i think most of the time you should cbet there

What do you mean by "fire 2 bullets"?

Thanks for your answer. The idea of the A of clubs as a nut blocker is quite interesting :D .
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      i mean i bet on the turn also.
      1) you can get value from weaker hands, lots of draws and overs.
      2) you can make the best hand fold
      3) you can bet not big on the turn just to check the river for a cheap showdown
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I like to fire a cbet on that flop and check the turn unimproved, you can turn a lot of cards that make you pick up equity, any ace any king any queen any jack any ten any club. Especially king/queen/jack/ten of clubs. Not to mention as said you can fold out weaker hands or try to stab the river if the flush doesn't get there with a under half pot bet.
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      EDIT:
      Sorry for double post.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Elertar!

We have AKo which is a pretty fun hand to play. It is definitly strong enough to 3bet it preflop so we reraise as you did, nice!

on the flop we do not hit anything unfortunately but that doesn't means we should check and give up. So that is why I like your continuation bet to take the pot down. Unfortunately your opponent calls.

The 7 does NOT improve your hand in any way. if it was the 7 obvious you have a flushdraw now hence your hand improves from trash to a flushdraw hand

With the 7 we do not bet again so we just check the turn to give it up since it is pretty likely our opponent has the equity advantage and ain't folding.

Best regards,
      Gerv