ancha666
      Bronze
      Poker Room skin
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
      10 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP1 with K A
      UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.5, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1, 6 folds, UTG+1 raises to $2, Hero calls $1 (pot was $2.65).

Flop: K J 4 ($4.15, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $1.5, Hero ???.

As far as I observed the table, villain was very tight in last 40-50 hands, sample is not big enought but he defenitely didn't play fishy game - I put him on AA, KK, AK.

What do you think, what should I do here?
  • 5 replies
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      I'm sure the moderators will give you a complete break down on what the absolutely correct play is, but I thought I would post my thoughts in the hopes of learning more if my thinking is wrong.

1. I think the reraise preflop should be three times raise, i.e. to $1.50 not $1 (this is from the literature available on this site).

2. if you get 3-betted I think you have to push all in. your odds are 10%-90% underdog to AA, 33%-65% underdog to KK and essentially a coin flip to any pocket pair QQ and lower. Also, 60%40% ahead on suited connectors. seeing as how you are behind only 2 possible hands in his range, and coin flip and better for the rest, I think a push all in to the reraise is +EV (note: moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. this flop is tricky. on the one hand you have top pair top kicker but on the other hand JJ, KJ, and KK are all possible hands in his range. However, the villain leads out with roughly 1/3 pot raise. I think a reraise is the correct play because a. he could be Cbetting with a worse hand than yours. b. his response to your reraise gives you information on where you stand in the hand. If he 3bets/calls you should cool off on the turn unless you turn a K. He's not calling a reraise with anything less that AA or two pair. note: this flop play only happens if he flat calls your larger preflop reraise....because if he folds, no flop or if he raises I think you should be all in by flop time anyway.

again, this is what I think your line should be and not necessarily the correct play.
    • ancha666
      ancha666
      Bronze
      1. I think the reraise preflop should be three times raise, i.e. to $1.50 not $1 (this is from the literature available on this site).

correct - sometimes I just find myself raising less cous i'm scared i'm not good enough and think i will lose less money if i raise less!

2. if you get 3-betted I think you have to push all in. your odds are 10%-90% underdog to AA, 33%-65% underdog to KK and essentially a coin flip to any pocket pair QQ and lower. Also, 60%40% ahead on suited connectors. seeing as how you are behind only 2 possible hands in his range, and coin flip and better for the rest, I think a push all in to the reraise is +EV (note: moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. this flop is tricky. on the one hand you have top pair top kicker but on the other hand JJ, KJ, and KK are all possible hands in his range. However, the villain leads out with roughly 1/3 pot raise. I think a reraise is the correct play because a. he could be Cbetting with a worse hand than yours. b. his response to your reraise gives you information on where you stand in the hand. If he 3bets/calls you should cool off on the turn unless you turn a K. He's not calling a reraise with anything less that AA or two pair. note: this flop play only happens if he flat calls your larger preflop reraise....because if he folds, no flop or if he raises I think you should be all in by flop time anyway.

I'm reading everyday about expected value and sometimes I say fuck, this is all a bunch of crap. On the long run, playing ABC micro no limit games and without getting into psychology of a table it's ok to always play "by the book" and go all in with your premium TPTK (just couse +EV)...but on the other hand, sometimes you have to follow your instincts, correct?

But now I got sth I didn't see while playing posted hand; villain only raised 1/3 pot so a) was weak b) wanted me to call/bet. I should just call and see what happens...

Thanks Pygmalion, for argumentaly explanation!
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      If he was very tight I would 3bet to $1.50 and then most likely fold to his 4bet since he's a very tight player. His range from EP would most likely be something like QQ-AA and AK, but most likely AA or KK since so many just calls with AK or QQ when being 3bet, at least in my experience.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      Don't minraise preflop!

As played, I call. He may have AK/QQ+. We don't want to get QQ to fold. AK will never fold. Against AA/KK we are way behind, but we can't fold with TPTK.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      <<I put him on AA, KK, AK. >>
      So why did you call his 3-bet preflop?

Otherwise, as said, don't minraise preflop.

As played, you have to call since you can't fold TPTK (you called the 3-bet preflop with AK so your aim is to hit TPTK to win the pot. If you call preflop you have to be sure you will play a TPTK if you hit.)

Given your read, i would fold preflop, but it would be easier to play if you have raised 3x instaed of a minraise.
      Once on the flop, you have to play, that was the aim of playing your AK.

On that flop, the small raise doesn't mean a lot. I would reraise him 3x, and fold to a shove. Given your read you can't go all-in i think... It's very difficult to play here. Most of the time when i'm lost in a hand i just fold, maybe it's the best thing to do here, not to waste more money than the preflop call.