Preflop bet sizing

• CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I just finished reading Kill Everyone by Less Nelson around page 55 they talk about preflop betsizing. The author and Betrand "Elky" Grospellier agree that preflop bet sizes should be smaller in early position and get bigger when your position is late. Eg. 2.5x from utg and 3-4x from the button. The explanation being that people will respect your raise more from early position hence no need to put in more chips to get that respect. However, this confuses me a bit! Becasue I believe also reading that in cash games you should raise bigger when early position in order to avoid playing OOP.. could someone please shed some light on this topic? :O

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      isn't lee nelson's "kill everyone" for tournaments?
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      isn't lee nelson's "kill everyone" for tournaments?
      It is mostly for live MTT but isnt the structure of live MTT very similar to playing cash game? I mean considering that people get very deep stacked and all.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Many tournaments start out 100-200 big blinds deep, but drop to 30-50 bb after 2 levels. Position means less when the stacks are shorter, and implied odds are greatly reduced.

By the way, many players find small raises on the button effective, and make small raises from early position and from the button, but larger raises from middle position or out of the blinds. If you make a small raise from middle position, you let players call cheaply with position on you, but no one will have position on you when you raise from the button.

Another way to look at it is that when you raise in early position, you are attacking the button, not the blinds. Your range is so strong that the blinds should fold very often even if they get good odds, and it's hard for players to flat-call to try to use position when your range is that strong.