BDLChill's Fantabulous Poker Career

• BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      I just crushed .10/.20 limit 6-max using pokerstrategy.com and low limit hold'em from two plus two publishing. (which say mostly the same things anyways) I now have the necessary bankroll to start playing .25/.50 limit and thought I'd write about my initial success.

I've been watching the videos, reading the articles, reading my book and reading some of the hand discussions. Sadly I can't post my own hands because I don't have pokertracker but once I get 2000 points I will.

Hopefully I'll have more good news for everyone in the future.

BDLChill
  • 147 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Welcome BDL,

Great to hear your doing well, look forward to seeing your progresses on the board, and hands in the hand analysis forum!

If you continue reading articles, watching live coachings, and start putting your difficult hands to debate on our forum, reaching 2000 points should be no problem!

(You dont actually need PT to post your hands, simply cut and paste them from the Instant hand history of whatever platform you are playing on and convert them using a Handconverter. For more information on Handconverters check the following article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/content/Hand-Converter_00994 )

Best Regards,
      SoyCD
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Just thought I'd write because I just beat .50/1.00 shorthanded limit and now I'm moving on to 1.00/2.00 with the appropriate bankroll. I don't quite have mastery over all the silver concepts but I'm counting outs automatically and using pot-odds when deciding whether to call or not all the time.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I have some more good news.

BDLChill
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      I do have a little more good news, I just hit gold status on poker strategy today so I'm going to be studying up on the new articles.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Hey!
      Its's good to hear some good news of peoples poker life!
      Hope to hear more of it.
      Good skills!
      DE4DLY. :)
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Hey thanks deadly, I've got a little more a mix of good and bad news.

As I mentioned I moved from .50/1.00 to 1.00/2.00 but at first things did not go very well. I lost money until brm dictated that I should move back down to .50/1.00 which I did. I then played .50/1.00 and came up with a strategy to allow myself to improve enough to play 1.00/2.00 successfully.

My plan was as follows.

1. Watch the gold stoxtrader videos on pokerstrategy.com
      2. Read sample hands from the fixed limit players playing SH at .50/1.00 and better
      3. Never play poker without having exercised previously in the day (to make sure my mind isn't sluggish).
      4. Work on identifying fish and not wasting my time at a table with me and 5 other tags.
      5. Contact terrorblade another SH FL player and arrange sessions with him.
      6. Read, write out questions for, and make sure I know the answers to the questions I created from 5 gold articles.
      7. Start using poker stove and figuring out a few basic equities.

I did all of these things and even got a short session in with TB.

Something went right, today I had my best session yet on 1.00/2.00 making 150$ in 3 hours playing only a single table of 6 max. I found the ultimate calling station and seating in position on him and there was another big calling station in the game too for added value. The game was roughly 25BB's//70 hands worth of profit. I know that I cannot expect these types of results consistently but I did save the names of the two bad players and hope to game them much more in the future if they choose to add more money to their accounts ;) .

Thats all for today
      BDLChill
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Oh one more thing, I've got nearly enough strategy points now to receive pokertracker and ace so my new goal is to play enough to get those and learn how to use them.
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Today I played about 200 hands before I'm going to go out swimming, I located a few tasty fish right away and sat down at a 1.00/2.00 table. Total profit was about 30 BB for a rate of about 15 BB / 100 hands which I'm obviously very happy about. Two days in a row now :D .

The point of this post is not to brag or make you presume I'm a really good player, I'm not, but maybe to make you (not that anyone ever reads this blog) think about the importance of opponent selection and the benefits fish and tilting players will have on your BR.

Picked up around 100 SP I think so my goal of getting tracker and ace should be just around the corner.

All for now
      BDLChill

p.s. adding fantabulous to the title wasn't enough to get people reading the blog? CMON!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I think this is a Fantabulous Blog :)

I enjoy reading it (ok I'm a sucker for people who actively work on improving their game) and will continue reading it in the future.

So gogogo BDL!
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      thanks SOYCD my one loyal reader!

Things today did not go well, I "moved up" to 2.00//4.00 and lost about 25 BBs. I was ahead for quite awhile during my playing but got obliterated a few hands in a row, my flush that I capped on the turn hitting another heart on the river allowing him to beat me and my AA vs AK blinds battle where I held AK.

I'll be moving back down to 1.00/2.00 until I build back the money that I lost.

My goals for improving are to:

1. Write out questions and know the answers for all gold articles.
      2. Continue posting and pokerstoving about situations that arise in the posted hands section.
      3. Learn pokertracker and ace

The goal that I've competed is getting enough strategy points to get poker tracker and ace, so despite my losses that's good.

I'll get back to the studying and grinding my way back to 2.00/4.00 in a few days probably, I have two term papers due this week so I'll probably play again on the weekend.

Tonight's St. Patrick's day however so I'll be spending it drinking.
      Cheers :D
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      I follow the blog as well, your crowd has doubled ;)
      Enjoy St.Patrick's day and with the goals u have set yourself. If you can fulfill them you're on your way to beat this limit as well ;)

Good luck!
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Those 388 views didn't come from 2 people only ;)

Interesting to read as my situation is a bit like yours, a bit ahead though as I'm ~ halfway through 2/4
    • mungavin
      mungavin
      Bronze
      Just wondering what bankrolls u use

For 1/2

and 2/4

Nice work on the blogging and very active poker improvement!

Mungavin
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for coming out of the woodwork.

No good news for the past couple of days.

I've been losing money left and right to the tune of 50 BBs on 1.00/2.00. I believe that it's a combination of getting in with the best odds and losing on the river too many times causing me to lose my focus and spend my energy not on studying the players but just on keeping my mood calm.

Yoghi, I see you in the hands analysis forum a lot, wanna trade msns so we can talk poker sometime? I'm hoping to meet some cool people and build up some helpful poker contacts. Same goes for anyone else who's interested and plays 6max or HU FL.

In 6 days my 2nd month of playing poker will be complete and hopefully I'll have something more positive to write about for then. For now though I have to focus on my term paper (20 pages on the teeth of prehistoric man... ugh).

BDLChill

edit:
      I was using 300BBs and moving down a limit if I lost 25 BBs.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I don't know if you have Skype, but in case you do mine is yoogher.

Getting to this point in 2 months is pretty quick :)

Fuck term papers indeed, I have to write 1 about the integration of immigrants in the healthcare of the western world.

But theres still bunny smiles on PS! :P :D :) ;)
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      what's skype?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Where do you live? China behind the big Chinese firewall? Under a huuuuuuuuuge rock? :D
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Where do you live? China behind the big Chinese firewall? Under a huuuuuuuuuge rock? :D
      skype's pretty popular in china. QQ is more so, but yeah :P
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      The rock I live under is indeed huge, it's the Rocky mountains (it's not polite to make fun of handicapped people or Canadians) :P

Anyways terrorblade informed me about skype so my ignorance has been slightly diminished.

If I get this program I'll be sure to give you a shout.
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Today marks the end of my second month of playing poker. I think I will make a list of my accomplishments and goals.

Accomplishments

1.) Building my 50 pokerstrategy dollars into a BR for 2/4 LH (even if I had to go back down to 1/2 because of loses)
      2.) Keeping my body and mind in excellent shape while playing poker.
      3.) Learning about the ways that I tilt and how that can be diminished.
      4.) Achieving platinum rank on PS.com
      5.) Achieving the 2000 necessary SPs for tracker and ace (although I haven't got the code yet, I only recently hit 2000 lifetime SPs).
      6.) Creating study guides for many of the articles.
      7.) Reading and re-reading all of Limit Hold 'em by Sklansky et al.
      8.) Buying limit hold em for advanced players by Sklansky et al (yesterday).
      9.) Successfully switching from FR to SH.
      10.) Posting on the forum about hand analysis.

Poker goals for the next month

1.) Create a study guide for every article up to the platinum ones.
      2.) Start commenting on concepts used in hand evaluations to cement them in my head.
      3.) Watch all the SH videos done by Stoxtrader twice and write notes on them.
      4.) Read and reread limit hold em for advanced players.
      5.) Become a 2/4 player again, this time a winning one.