sngs, mt sngs and mtts

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      :f_eek: what is it that really distinguishes one from the other? i only ever really concentrated on cash... i've played sngs and some freerolls (mtts) and i get that sngs are generally 1 table and mtts are obviously many tables... but im a little confused as to what the difference is between, say, a mtt and a multi table sng...

i read on the internet that the only difference is that mtts start at a scheduled time whereas sngs start when the required number of players have registered... but is that it? seems a little bit of a pointless difference... :f_confused:

also, what would it be like for someone who has been learning cash format to switch to mtts or sngs? from what i gather learning cash gives you lots of insight into postflop play... the sngs and mtt strat. sections on this site seem to be lacking in info for postflop play... :f_confused:

:f_confused: :f_confused: :f_confused:
  • 4 replies
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      The difference is in the structure: blinds increase every set amount of time, players can't join or leave as they please once a tourney begins, and strategy is very much dependent on the payout structure and current blinds-level.

I find SnGs fascinating for several reasons.

For example, to win you must go through every other player which means you will play 9-handed, then 8-handed, 7, 6 etc.. until you get to heads up which is always very action-packed! :)

In a single table sng you get used to the players and their playing styles which you can exploit later. Unlike cash games where players can at any time leave or sit and mtts where you will often change tables.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Also MTTs have higher variance but higher prizes (so a very strict and safe BRM is necessary) than single table sngs.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      oh okay thanks :) i like sngs i used to play them all the time on play money :P i used to own the 180 man play moneys lol. im thinking about learning more about them but im not sure which ones i should focus on... mtts or sngs... or mt sngs... when i first started playing for $ i was trying the 6handed sngs but i didn't like how little you win in comparison to the buy in...
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      The 6 handed ones are what I'm playing atm. Depends on where you play, if you're playing micro stakes you need a site that has reasonable rake.