[NL2-NL10] NL2 AK poorly played hand or just bad luck?

• anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $1.87
      BB:
      $1.92
      UTG2:
      $2.91
      MP1 (Hero):
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $1.85
      CO:
      $2.24
      BU:
      $2.02

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP2 raises to $0.24, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.83) T, 4, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.39, MP2 raises to $1.60(All-In), Hero calls $1.21.

Turn: ($4.03) 2 (2 players)

River: ($4.03) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.03.

Results follow:

MP2 shows two pairs, queens and tens(Qc Qh).
      Hero shows a pair of tens(Ks As).

MP2 wins with two pairs, queens and tens(Qc Qh).
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Do you have any info on Villain?

Either way, I think the 4bet preflop should be to ~$0.70 in order to commit yourself on the flop, where you can shove your remaining $1.30 into a pot of $1.43 on almost any flop.

As played I think there are 2 different lines you can take on the flop, either check/fold if you have a strong suspicion your opponent is holding an overpair he won't fold, or you can bet/fold if you think he will fold to a Cbet. However I would bet bigger than you did on the flop, ~$0.50, as betting so small here just looks really weak. If he shoves over the top of that you can fold, as you only have around 18% equity vs JJ+, which is basically what his shoving range here would be, and you would have to call $1.10 into a $1.83 pot, so you're not getting the odds to call here.

As played on the flop, I think you should definately fold to the shove as you're getting even worse odds than if you had bet bigger.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Thank you for your advice. I've just started playing poker recently and don't know much about the strategy in this game, so I really want to learn something from my played hands which I quite can't explain how (why) I lose or sometimes made me difficultly to make decision. Anyway, thanks!

PS: My English is not good enough to explain things clearly, but I'll try! :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      No problem :) Feel free to continue posting hands in this section and reading the strategy articles available so you can improve your game further :)