This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 AK poorly played hand or just bad luck?

• anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $1.87
      BB:
      $1.92
      UTG2:
      $2.91
      MP1 (Hero):
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $1.85
      CO:
      $2.24
      BU:
      $2.02

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP2 raises to $0.24, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.83) T, 4, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.39, MP2 raises to $1.60(All-In), Hero calls $1.21.

Turn: ($4.03) 2 (2 players)

River: ($4.03) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.03.

Results follow:

MP2 shows two pairs, queens and tens(Qc Qh).
      Hero shows a pair of tens(Ks As).

MP2 wins with two pairs, queens and tens(Qc Qh).
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Do you have any info on Villain?

Either way, I think the 4bet preflop should be to ~$0.70 in order to commit yourself on the flop, where you can shove your remaining $1.30 into a pot of $1.43 on almost any flop.

As played I think there are 2 different lines you can take on the flop, either check/fold if you have a strong suspicion your opponent is holding an overpair he won't fold, or you can bet/fold if you think he will fold to a Cbet. However I would bet bigger than you did on the flop, ~$0.50, as betting so small here just looks really weak. If he shoves over the top of that you can fold, as you only have around 18% equity vs JJ+, which is basically what his shoving range here would be, and you would have to call $1.10 into a $1.83 pot, so you're not getting the odds to call here.

As played on the flop, I think you should definately fold to the shove as you're getting even worse odds than if you had bet bigger.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Thank you for your advice. I've just started playing poker recently and don't know much about the strategy in this game, so I really want to learn something from my played hands which I quite can't explain how (why) I lose or sometimes made me difficultly to make decision. Anyway, thanks!

PS: My English is not good enough to explain things clearly, but I'll try! :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      No problem :) Feel free to continue posting hands in this section and reading the strategy articles available so you can improve your game further :)