[NL20-NL50] NL25 AK in 3bet pot

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $40.84
      Hero:
      $32.95

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , K:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, SB raises to $3.75, BB folds, Hero calls $2.75.

Flop: ($7.75) A:spade: , 3:club: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $4.75, Hero raises to $12.00

I'm thinking this was a mistake since I'm either way ahead (most likely) or way behind (not that likely since the only hand I'm way behind of is AA).
  • 4 replies
    • Pygmalion
      Pygmalion
      Bronze
      No I think your play is correct. I think you may get critiqued on your flat call of the 3-bet preflop, but I think your play is fine. On the flop, your play is 100% correct. as you say, the only conceivable hand that you are trailing is AA. So you reraise is perfectly correct to make him pay for the right to out draw you.

THe more interesting question is what do you do if he shoves over your reraise. I think on this board you HAVE to call, because at best (excluding the opponent holding AA possibility) your opponent has 3 outs (for hands like AQ, AJ etc) or two outs for pocket pairs which makes him a massive underdog.

So nh imo.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      I'm sorry but I don't see the reason why I would fold out all 2 outers (QQ-TT) with a raise like I did and perhaps get myself in a somewhat uneasy call from a 3 outers shove, which might actually be a hand that completely crushes me.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      call flop, suck bets at turn and river
      Yes you want to go broke
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If he is aggressive, then I would 4-bet pre-flop. Ak is good enough to get your money in.