2-4 Rule?

• StewyVitler
      StewyVitler
      Bronze
      (A)

The probability of hitting one of the players outs with the next community card is around 2% * number of outs + 2%.

(B)

The combined probability of hitting one of the players outs from the flop either with the turn- or river card is around 4% * number of outs (-1% with 9-12 outs and -4% with more than 12 outs).

I was wondering if someone could give me an example of both (a) and (b) respectively, especially (b) with the bracketed area on the end of the equation eg. what about less than 9 outs like 8? or 7? etc.....

I posted this in the strategy discussion board in the limit section but could not really get an example of the two rules could someone hit me up with some examples of (A) and (B) pretty please :D
  • 1 reply
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      a) If you have 9 outs - you have about 9*2%=18%+2% = 20% chance of hitting one of your outs in the next round (lets say on the Turn if we are talking about the flop)

b) This is for flop situations:

With 9 outs I would have 4%*9 = 36% -1% = ~35% chance of hitting one of my outs till the river

With 13 outs I would have 4%*13= 52% -4% = ~48% chance of hitting one of my outs till the river

This is a rule of Thumb for quickly getting a picture of your probabilities.

Regards,
      SoyCD