Setmining ?

• Dannyz0r
      Dannyz0r
      Bronze
      Okay i got a couple of questions about set mining .
      This is tournament / sng related question
      I know that when blinds are low and stacks are deep it's worth trying to set mine with a low pp . My question comes to turbo tourneys : is it worth set mining when i have like 30BB and villain has around 15-20BB ? in late part of a tourneys (after bubble burst) if i decide to play with a pocket pair is it wise to just call the blind or raise / shove if in LP ?
      if any1 can point me to some article related to set mining i would love to look it out
  • 5 replies
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      If your opponent has 15bb or less you can profitably shove any pp.

To answer your question:
      If you both have around 15 times more than what's invested (preflop raise size) it's profitable to setmine, because you have about 14% chance to hit a set on the flop and the times you get paid for it is even less)
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Wasn't it the "call 20" rule?

That would mean that you can limp with 20bb effective stack, or if someone raises you and him both need to have 20 times the raised amount.
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Percent is ok but you have to know who are you playing with to get exact implied odds
      For example nit is less likely to play for stack if he doesn't hit big so you have much less implied odds.
      Ideal opponent would be agro fish or calling station.
      As a general rule it is best to play multiway pots with small pockets because then it is more likely you will get paid if you hit plus you got better immediate odds
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bjela
      Wasn't it the "call 20" rule?

That would mean that you can limp with 20bb effective stack, or if someone raises you and him both need to have 20 times the raised amount.
      ok dont listen to this guy.
      you dont limp to set mine ever!
      Ok lets say you do.. you limp. and some1 decides to isolate you for 3.5x bb (or w/e is his normal raise+1 limper open) and it comes to you. what youll do? You fold here? no way. you call? well you could have odds but you are committed already so why not shove? well.. usually with low pairs you will see a coin flip or better pair. And if you wanna flip it to the glory.. well.. go for it, you can come to my tables any time. Good luck on shipping anything like that.

So what I wanted to say.. Dont limp! Ohh and forget about setmining with 20bb effective stack
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Dannyz0r
      Okay i got a couple of questions about set mining .
      This is tournament / sng related question
      I know that when blinds are low and stacks are deep it's worth trying to set mine with a low pp . My question comes to turbo tourneys : is it worth set mining when i have like 30BB and villain has around 15-20BB ? in late part of a tourneys (after bubble burst) if i decide to play with a pocket pair is it wise to just call the blind or raise / shove if in LP ?
      if any1 can point me to some article related to set mining i would love to look it out
      Your stack size doesn't really matter if your opponent doesn't have your covered.

Just shove of fold it and make your life easy and that way you wont make incorrect folds when ever he c-bets the flop he missed and you fold the best hand.