Refocusing youself

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Im finding this hard..i try a bluff which should work and it doesnt. then i get all tilty... i usually quit playing straight away but im so angry at myself for even trying it

How do u refocus yourself, i swear its like a red mist descends and i get so angry i wanna punch something. just there now i threw my mouse against the wall, it didnt break but this shouldnt be happening..

To be honest writing this now kinda helped....

any advice?
  • 7 replies
    • sinsas
      sinsas
      Silver
      Originally posted by dogma18
      Im finding this hard..i try a bluff which should work and it doesnt. then i get all tilty... i usually quit playing straight away but im so angry at myself for even trying it

How do u refocus yourself, i swear its like a red mist descends and i get so angry i wanna punch something. just there now i threw my mouse against the wall, it didnt break but this shouldnt be happening..

To be honest writing this now kinda helped....

any advice?
      well I dont quit playing, just lean back a little and start thinking, that its just a game, im still a winning player, I'm going to crush those fishes, no need to rush things and make it harder on my self ,take few deep breath's and boom I am calm again and play good poker. If it gets extreemly tilty, i instantly pause all my sessions ( very convenient button on stars ) and go out to take a cig, walk arround , drink a glass of water, and if after that I feel I can play , then back to the session if not I take a 1hour break.
    • n3w8i3
      n3w8i3
      Bronze
      sounds familiar... what i do after such hand - continue playing in "rock" strategy - playing just really strong hands and really aggresive preflop... after 1 or 2 such hands winning, continue to play normally as before...
    • thienimon
      thienimon
      Gold
      Controlling your emotions really a very big attribute in becoming a successful player. I admit playing sometime feels like your on a roller-coaster of ride of emotional. haha

Here's a few tips:

1. Write down your poker goal.
      You will get many donkeys who just deposit and play and then complaints of bad beats and do the same things again. Recipe for long term losing. By writing down your goal, your mind is focus on it and keep you alert cause you have a purpose for playing.

2. Set yourself a cool down period.
      You already know that poker doesn't always go your way. If you experience bad beat or just having crappy session. Set yourself a duration time for break. Example, you just have a bad beat and can't control your emotion. Set 30 minutes cooling down and when your mind ready. Jump back into the game to kick some butt.

All in all, these are just simple tips. Hope it helpful for you dogma18. :)
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      You chuck your mouse at the wall after your bluff gets called? What do you do when your AA gets cracked by 95o :rage:

What I do after a bad session is try and see if theres anything I can learn from it. Go over your HH and see where mistakes were made, where you just tilted it off - you might be able to use this technique to make your losing sessions +EV :P

If you look back and see you played well and just got unlucky, be encouraged, as it means you WILL win it back in the long term.

As for staying cool mid-session, that is a tough one, so pass :P
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Hitting and breaking things? Sounds just like me :D What I started doing is pushups, when you are just so mad, just do pushups and you will wear yourself out quickly and if you are really shit at poker you might just get really fit :D
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      This is all because you go to the tables being 'proud'.

As leatherass says, poker is your businesss and in business you should leave your ego at the door.
    • iCallSick1
      iCallSick1
      Bronze
      Mayb stop next time afterwards if you feel anyform of tilt once you made a mistake, and analyze what went wrong, your thought process on why you attempted this ect ect. Also maybe write down everytime you do something incorrect, and review this after wards or while playing, maybe keep a note pad along your desk and if you make a move like this next time when you get super angry and wanna throw that mouse, just look down and read your note pad and cool off, and just simply tell yourself to not do it again.

Poker is 90% mental IMO!

Well profitable poker is anyways in the long run!