how do you train with equity trainer?

• cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Hey guys how do you use the equity trainer anyway?
      I know how to use it but what I want to know is how do you exactly train yourself to guess/calculate equity correctly using equity trainer so it can be used during session.

Do you use equilab to get the equity, calculate the equity manually like in a piece of paper, or just guess with experience?

Like your opinions here...

thanks,
      cpers :spade:
  • 7 replies
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      I use it occasionally, but I dont sure if it's useful or not. I think Villain tendencies/stats postflop is more important.

For example:
      We are raise on UTG preflop, BB call. Flop xyz and from what we train with Equilab, we estimated our equity 50%. Now, what to do? Depend on Villain HUD stats. If we change the flop, and our equity change to 30% or 70% our action still depend on Villain tendencies. So, in my opinion Equlab trainer is not very useful.

Of course it depends also on types of your game, your image, etc.

Do you use equilab to get the equity, calculate the equity manually like in a piece of paper, or just guess with experience?

I just guess it to get feeling about type of flops. How much my equity with KsJs versus 15%?, How if I flop top pair? How if the flop AK6? How if the flop Q72? etc. etc.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      I tried to calculate it manually but it's too tiring :D
      I guess it's better to train it by evaluating hands and get the equity with the range that you put on the villain.

Thanks for the info.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Thanks for helping out patszer :)
    • jamballah
      jamballah
      Bronze
      What do you guys think about the predefined ranges?

I think the BB ranges for defending against late position raises are ridiculously loose.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by jamballah
      What do you guys think about the predefined ranges?

I think the BB ranges for defending against late position raises are ridiculously loose.
      What makes you say that?

I mean, since late position will be opening wide (we assume), we should be calling wide (but not as wide as the open because we play OOP without initiative).

Does that make sense?

Of course, everything requires finetuning to your individual style of play ;)
    • jamballah
      jamballah
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarcPS

What makes you say that?

I mean, since late position will be opening wide (we assume), we should be calling wide (but not as wide as the open because we play OOP without initiative).

Does that make sense?

Of course, everything requires finetuning to your individual style of play ;)
      Hmm. This is the range "Big Blind Defence | Call vs. BU Open Raise":
      33-22, A5s-A2s, KTs-K2s, Q2s+, J3s+, T4s+, 95s+, 84s+, 74s+, 63s+, 53s+, 43s, A7o-A2o, KTo-K4o, Q8o+, J8o+, T8o+, 97o+, 87o, 76o

This is "Open Raising Chart | BU":
      33+, A2s+, K2s+, Q6s+, J7s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, A2o+, K7o+, Q9o+, J9o+

Your calling range is much wider than button's raising range.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      i do 10 minute blitz sessions against pre defined hand ranges vs every hand i might conceivably VPIP preflop. my goal is 100 questions with <5% average difference.