BU and CO steals against non-regulars

Bronze
      I have read the articles about blind steals and what I didn't find there was information about which hands are good to steal with against people who are not weak-tight regulars. I believe that nitty play on the CO and BU even in early stages leads to a lot of missed +EV spots, but since there are no guidelines as to how one's range on CO and BU should vary depending on the opponents behind I have a feeling I might sometimes make too loose steals. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here might help me develop a range that is both safe and ambitious yet profitable.
  • 5 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Try a 35% button steal range against players who overdefend the blinds. Against regs who underdefend the blinds, use smaller raises and close to a 100% steal range.
      Bronze
      What could be considered overdefending?
      And is 35% not a bit too loose, especially against overdefending players?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Some players defend hands like A2o and Q5s. Could you profitably defend the blinds with those hands? You can put a "folds BB to steal" stat in your HUD, and some players will stand out as folding much less than they should, but you might simply look at the VPIP/PFR numbers which converge much faster. A player who is 42/5 will almost always overdefend the big blind.

You don't need a monster hand when you have position and either a loose, bad opponent or a chance to take the blinds immediately. A 35% range is designed to exploit players who defend too often. Most of the time, players who are loose preflop will have no pair and no draw on the flop, and when they hit, they will often have a hand like bottom pair which they will play as a bluff-catcher, letting you bet for value or draw cheaply, often with 6 or more outs.
      Bronze
      What if I get 3bet often? Then my range should tighten up, right?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      For a fixed defense percentage, you prefer to see calls rather than reraises when you have a marginal hand. If you get 3-bet and fold, you don't get a chance to hit the flop hard, or for your opponent to miss the flop and give up. The extra information that your opponent's range is weaker when he just calls doesn't make up for this. So, yes, tighten up against opponents who 3-bet more compared with passive opponents.