Should we pot all the way down?

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      I was watching one of TribunCaesar's videos and noticed that everyone (him included) were potting at least the flop, and most of the time the turn too. It was a video recorded on Party Poker at 2009... maybe things have changed since then. I don't know.

On many books I see the pot/pot/half-pot line being adopted in deep stack play too. You guys employ this? I usually keep betting like 80% of the pot, sometimes just 1/2 when I have the nuts on the turn, for example, and don't think people are going to call.

If we are not to use the pot/pot/half-pot line all the way through the hand, would the pot-sized bet be a standard on the flop at least?
  • 9 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      "it depends"

On the most part, you should do whatever you do. :f_biggrin:

That means if you half pot your draws you should half pot your made hands as well and if you always full pot, you should be doing so with all of your hands.

Your main concern should be on how you play hands out of position vs in position. You can't afford to be betting pot when out of position as there are plenty of scare cards and playing big pots out of position gets very expensive in PLO.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      "it depends"

On the most part, you should do whatever you do. :f_biggrin:

That means if you half pot your draws you should half pot your made hands as well and if you always full pot, you should be doing so with all of your hands.

Your main concern should be on how you play hands out of position vs in position. You can't afford to be betting pot when out of position as there are plenty of scare cards and playing big pots out of position gets very expensive in PLO.
      Exactly. When OOP things are quite complicated, but I've been trying some of those pot bets when IP at least on the flop as a c-bet when I actually have a good piece of it, like two-pairs + FD. What happens most often is that people call the flop and check to me on the turn, instead of donk betting. Then I can fire again if I improve or just check behind in order to realize my equity and control the size of the pot.

I don't know in other fields, but on iPoker at least people tend to understand pot bets as "the nuts" too often and give a lot of credit to it... at least in the beginning!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I want that "it depends" stamp.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach

Ribbo, feel free to use them. :D
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kyyberi

Ribbo, feel free to use them. :D
      lol man! you really took the time to edit this stamp on photoshop or something?

it's cool! :s_cool:
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I used google and Gimp. Took about 10 minutes to make those.
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Definitely depends, I would say less than 5% of people bet pot at all times now. There is almost always a good reason to bet less than pot but Ribbo is right when he says to make sure that whatever you're doing, you're doing with a balanced range.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      More for Ribbo!!!

• adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      just get support to add them to the emoticon side panel...

There will be essential in PLO hand evaluations :D