Which poker room for a newbie?

• Dowzee
      Dowzee
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I have used up my free $50. Made it last 2 months playing an hour a day or so. Mainly $.05-.10 tables. I now would like to put $20 into a site. Do you recommend any specific sites or should I go with PokerStars (seems best bet to me or Party Poker)? I like to play safe.

Thanks
  • 6 replies
    • ThePocketKings
      ThePocketKings
      Bronze
      Hi Dowzee,

I would go for Stars, there are lot of tournaments. And they are really great like 30K guarantee with buy in just 1.10$... :)
      And there is always enough people online so you can find a table anytime.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Okay, Ingrid made me repost here. I would get killed if i didn't. :s_frown:

So I will give you a better answer.

No poker room is risk free and without above average regular players.

For a newbie like you I recommend PokerStars, PartyPoker and iPN (iPoker Network)

They have a variety of limits, games, tournaments etc.
      If you pick a room with a smaller amount of players you will find limited tables for your bankroll. On the bigger rooms which i mentioned above you can find a lot of micro limit tables/tournaments/SnG's etc.

Although there are a lot of good players there too, also there are a lot of bad players. Their sites are kinda safe. And you shouldn't have any problems.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Thank you Zhusy :f_love: muchos better!

Hi Dowzee,

I play 6max nl2 on Stars and can recommend it to you. I'm sure the members will come give their 2 cents into this discussion.

Although, we've had similar questions in the past... worth to take a look :)

Choosing a room

Best site to deposit?

Ingrid
    • Dowzee
      Dowzee
      Bronze
      Thanks for your replies everyone, very informative.

Lets say I'm going to commit about 2 hours each night to PokerStars. Would you recommend micros or tourny's for me? At the moment I am entering the daily PokerStrategy freerolls on PartyPoker and averaging only 300-500th place of usually 2000 people.

Thanks again
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Dowzee,

I think its also up to whether you would like to learn and study from your play or win bigger amount in a shorter period?

If you planning to learn and have time/energy to study I wouldn't recon mtt's but if you have only 2 hours and want to make some money, might be mtt's the answer.

Have you tried to play anything else but mtt's?

Ingrid
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dowzee

I have used up my free $50. Made it last 2 months. Mainly $.05-.10 tables. I now would like to put $20 into a site.
      Thanks
      Hi Dowzee, rather than recommending any particular site I would firstly recommend that you read some of the articles here on PokerStrategy. I would particularly recommend those on Bank Roll Management. Going by your first post you were playing NL10 with only a $50 bankroll which is a sure fire way to losing your $s.

I consider myself a reasonably experienced player and with a $110 roll am currently almost at the point where I will look to move up from NL2 to NL6. Other players may consider this fairly conservative BRM and then again some will consider this fairly aggressive BRM.

I play $1 - $2 tourneys also and am currently showing a profit on these which helps the Bankroll to grow.

Again my recommendations to you are firstly read some of the articles here and then start at the bottom with NL2. Learn the basics first until they are 2nd nature and then look to expand your knowledge base as you move up in stakes.

GL at the tables

Fagin