[NL2-NL10] MSS NH 0.02/0.04: three of a kind v flush draw

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)   
      code:
      BB (8.17)
      MP3 (4.79)
      CO (1.81)

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.103 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7:diamond: , 7:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, 2 folds, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.50) 7:spade: , 4:spade: , 3:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $0.35, Hero raises to $0.76, BB folds, MP3 raises to $4.63 (All-In), Hero calls $0.89 (All-In).

Turn: ($6.78) T:diamond:
      River: ($6.78) A:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.78

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows a flush, ace high (Kh Ks)
      Hero shows (7d 7c)

MP3 wins with a flush, ace high (Kh Ks)

This is one hand that I've been second guessing myself with. I knew on the flop I was probably down to a flush (definitely if another spade came out). And looking back MP3 certainly represented a flush or an overpair. I think I played this one badly, and just couldn't get away from trips.

My reason for flat calling pre-flop was set-mining, which luckily (or unluckily) happened on the flop.
  • 2 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zareos
      My reason for flat calling pre-flop was set-mining, which luckily (or unluckily) happened on the flop.
      Hello Zaeros!

We only can setmine if we have sufficient money behind. In this case we do not even have 50% of the maximum buyin on the table. Therefore mathematically wise we cannot grind a profit here if we call preflop to setmine. Any other intention to call is also not profitably because it requires really sophisticated lines which works counter productive on the lowest stakes.

Following the SHC on the lowest limits guarantees a profit at least and any deviation without study puts that profit in danger.

Now on to the flop where you flop topset, obviously we raise but i dislike your minraise because you just give the odds to your opponent to draw out on you. Personally I would shove myself as any other raising size makes you committed

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Gerv
      We only can setmine if we have sufficient money behind. In this case we do not even have 50% of the maximum buyin on the table. Therefore mathematically wise we cannot grind a profit here if we call preflop to setmine. Any other intention to call is also not profitably because it requires really sophisticated lines which works counter productive on the lowest stakes.

Following the SHC on the lowest limits guarantees a profit at least and any deviation without study puts that profit in danger.

Thanks, really appreciate the guidance.

Yeah, I really don't normally set-mine. I was just feeling in the zone and running well on earlier tables. Despite this hand I'm up 101 BB/100 today. However, I know that's probably not a very professional mindset and will endeavor to do better.

But one last thing, I've been studying lots and lots! It just never shone through in this hand.