Paying poker at more then one table...

• marckaraujo
      marckaraujo
      Bronze
      Hello,

I know that some players play poker at a lot of tables at sametime, I never tried this before... as I think that I cant maintain the focus in so many tables.

But who play, how many tables you considerer it profitable?
      And when stop playing at many tables and level up a rank?

Thanks,
  • 10 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Well basically, it depends of what you play (SNG, cash, etc), you skill-level, experience multitabling etc...

Also with personal preferences (I like playing 4-6 tables NL SH so that I can focus on each table, but there are people playing much more than that).

You should try adding tables one by one, and see what you're comfortable with. Of course, play a number of hands (5-10 thousand at least) with 2 tables before adding another one. And the same with 3 etc.

When moving up the limits, I prefer to drop to 2 tables for a while, especially if taking a shot (not having the full bankroll needed for that limit), and add it up again.
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by marckaraujo

Hello,

I know that some players play poker at a lot of tables at sametime, I never tried this before... as I think that I cant maintain the focus in so many tables.

But who play, how many tables you considerer it profitable?
      And when stop playing at many tables and level up a rank?

Thanks,
      It's a great way to win more money in the same amount of time. But before you even consider this, you need to spend time to finetune your strategy. Only start adding another table once you're bored because all the decisions seem to simple.

This should answer most of your Q's:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/11955/
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I also asked this question myself the other day, thanks guys for your input :heart: I'll stay with one table for now :D
    • ionasnorbert
      ionasnorbert
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I believe it also depends on how you have your table layout. I have been playing sngs for a while, and i have always played tiled. Playing tilted limits the number of your tables by a lot. You need a really big monitor in order to fit many tables on your screen. I could have maximum like 10 tables open without them overlaping.

Now i moved to having my tables stacked and i can play 15+ without any effort. You just stick to the hand you see and make the decision. I'm not sure if this is viable for cash games, but if you want to put in huge volume at SNGs i think this is the only way.

Hope that helped, Good luck at the tables!
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      Yeh stacked is the best way if playing over 4 tables imo, I haven't tried tiled over 6 tables but I imagine it's impossible to keep track of what table needs action especially when you have sounds on and everything is beeping at you.

When I first wanted to multi table I thought "how hard can it be?" and then within 5 minutes of loading up about 10 tables I was going WAAAAA MAMMA! ;( so I decided to slowly add a table at time and got use to each additional table, I'm up to comfortably doing 12 at the moment.

Good luck.
    • siisonkin
      siisonkin
      Bronze
      it's not the decision making that i find difficult playing more tables, it's maintaining the aggression levels required to play a good TAG game
    • marckaraujo
      marckaraujo
      Bronze
      Well,

So all you are saying that play at more then one table is good, specially for SnG, of course when you can manage that, improving step by step.

But the only tactics that I could use into that is push and fold, cuz I doubt that you can feel what kind of players are in all tables... :f_o:
    • outspan
      outspan
      Bronze
      Well,

So all you are saying that play at more then one table is good, specially for SnG, of course when you can manage that, improving step by step.

But the only tactics that I could use into that is push and fold, cuz I doubt that you can feel what kind of players are in all tables... :f_o:
      If you multitable, your reads won't be as accurate as if you were playing a single table. But if you have your strategy down, you will make more money than with just one table.

There are programs that you can download to help you with your reads, like Holdem Manager. However, don't worry about that for now. Before you learn about VPIP, PFR and the likes, you really should get more mileage :) .
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      played 2 tables at start for about 3 weeks.
      then moved to 4 tables for about 3 months.

now I play 6 tables without any issues. can play 8 tables at a stretch.

before you worry about playing at more than 2 tables, make sure you have played 15,000 hands to be honest :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you multi-table SNGs, you need to be careful. If I get heads-up in more than two at once it gets bizarrely hectic.