[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR 55 in a 3 bet pot vs aggro player.

• Steelbrewer
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5, 5.
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.90, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.55.

Flop: ($1.95) 9, T, T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.95) J (2 players)
      BB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20.

River: ($4.35) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $2.20, Hero calls $2.20.

Final Pot: $8.75.

Player in the middle position limps and I isolate with 55 from CU, however BB decides to squeeze / 3 bet.
      Stats for BB: 41/35 and 20% 3bet most of which comes from the blinds. Aggro factor 4.5, cbet 60% and WTS 42
      Against an opponent with low 3 bet I would be less inclined to call since 55 is mainly a set mining hand but vs this guy I decided to see a flop in position and his 3 bet size is kinda smallish.

Surprisingly he checks on a 9TT flop and I check behind putting him on AK, AQ type of hand which has a "draw" to overcards but doesn't want to get raised. On the turn he bets J rather big and it doesn't relly make sense, the only hands I would think will do this are TT and 99 that want to make a pot bigger for river, so I stick to my opinoin of him having AQ, AK and plan to call any river which isn't A,K,Q or counterfitting T, J. On the river he bets half pot and I can safely eliminate TT and 99, as well as JJ from his range since those hands would bet bigger assuming that I am not folding on a blank river.
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      This isn't a squeeze, it is blind defense against a perceived steal attempt.

Squeeze play is this situation -

UTG2 raises to 4BB
      MP3 calls 4BB
      CO calls 4BB
      SB raises to 18BB

That is a squeeze. When one player raises and one or more players call, it sets up a very high value light 3bet situation. One only needs make the original raiser fold to take down the pot; the callers mostly have pocket pairs and some suited connectors and if they are regulars they should not be able to find a call.

I'm not sure why we are ever attempting to isolate MP2 with 55. For one we are overpaying to draw at a set as he only has 37.5BBs, for two any hand he recalls with is likely to be two overcards at worst, and we wont have a clue where we stand postflop.

The raise as stands is fine as a steal. MP2 cannot recall with any drawing hand profitably and should normally fold. You also have odds to recall BB's 3bet for set value and showdown value on the right board textures.

Our villain showed weakness on the flop, but he is loose and thinks you are stealing. he probably isn't folding often, and most turns are going to be bigger than 5, leaving you guessing. I'm checking behind, with intent to call down on really obvious blanks or fold on scare cards.

The J is just about THE scare card on that board. I'm gone on the turn. A call here means we have to call the river, and that is getting far too expensive for a steal that turned into a set mine that missed.

It is interesting how you talked yourself into thinking he couldn't hold anything but AK/AQ. A 20% 3bet range has a fairly huge amount of hands that have you beat. An aggressive villain could play these lines with 89, 9T, TJ, JQ, AJ, JK, J9, J8, 78, 77-AA. The check on the flop could as easily be slowplay / bluff inducement as it could be just checking to see if he should be scared of you having a ten.

To be honest the only thing you are beating is a pure bluff on a pretty scary board, and to see you have to invest far more than the pot was worth on the turn. This needs to be a pure bluff nearly 40% of the time to be a profitable call.
    • veriz
      Hello Steelbrewer,

Preflop: Don't like the Call at all here. We can't Call it for set value or either we wont do very good postflop with such a pair. Since most likely we gonna see overcards on board. I'd rather just fold the hand.

As played
      Postflop: If he is Checking behind then just take a stab and bet it. We need to protect our hand and find out where we stand. About the other play I am not a huge fan of it. :) You practically only beat a bluff. But if he wanted to bluff then why didn't he just CBet?

Best regards.