WSOP $1 Million Buy-In Event - Good or Bad for Poker?

• Poll
    • Is the $1 million buy-in event good or bad for poker?

This event is good for poker - especially since some of the money goes to charity
        63%
        I'm not sure about this
        22%
        This event is rather bad for poker
        14%
      Total: 49 Votes
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      In early June, Cirque Du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte announced a $1 million buy-in event for the 2012 WSOP, with 11.1% of each buy-in going towards the ONE DROP charity foundation.
      Entrepreneur, philanthropist, space travel enthusiast and high stakes cash game player, Guy is influential in almost everything he does. But is his latest creation good for poker's overall image?

What do you think about this tournament? Do you think it's good or bad for poker? Feel free to share your thoughts and debate in this forum thread.
  • 17 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      It's bad, I don't like it.

Nobody except him has the actual bankroll to play that event.

We all know how big variance is in tournament, basically participating in a 1 million dollar event is just sacrificing part of your BR and hope to be lucky.

Guy just doesn't care about the money, maybe to get his kick he needs a 50 millions dollars first prize?

Edit :

See what I mean

• Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      I believe it's +EV to poker pros. I mean just look how many bussinessmen are there.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87

We all know how big variance is in tournament, basically participating in a 1 million dollar event is just sacrificing part of your BR and hope to be lucky.

Guy just doesn't care about the money, maybe to get his kick he needs a 50 millions dollars first prize?

Edit :

See what I mean

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      ofc its good...people who can afford it..can play...

i think vanessa selbst sayd that she is pissed about this tourney...cause not everyone including herself can afford it and she is gelous and pissed.

but i tell u that vanessa, not everyone can afford wsop, ept, wpt etc...and they dont wine about it.... if people can afford it let them play!!!
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      i think u dont understand the hand...he wants to split only because hes not in good shape...if he was 5050 he would go for it!
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Not in good shape???He is 65% favorite.I think it was a nice gesture by him and obviously Benyamine was happy to take it hough slightly embarrassing at the same time.If he was out of his depth making all in bets he shouldn't have been on the game.

Good point as well BigOVERBET.I completely agree with what you say.If people can afford it,let them do what they want with their money.Take no notice of Selbst.She has obviously forgotten that the stakes and buy in levels she plays are well over what most poker players even dream of.

Also the charity gesture is very good.Its like a pro-am event in golf.Could possibly raise millions so i dont think we are in a position to moan about it.Jealous,yes of course ;-)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87

Edit :

See what I mean

Just watched the video and wow. Very nice of Laliberte of making a deal but wtf with Benyamine, you bet you get called deal with it for fss. If nosebleeds are scary money for him he should not play them.

Originally posted by vhallee
      In early June, Cirque Du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte announced a $1 million buy-in event for the 2012 WSOP, with 11.1% of each buy-in going towards the ONE DROP charity foundation.
      Entrepreneur, philanthropist, space travel enthusiast and high stakes cash game player, Guy is influential in almost everything he does. But is his latest creation good for poker's overall image?

What do you think about this tournament? Do you think it's good or bad for poker? Feel free to share your thoughts and debate in this forum thread.
      I think why not, if people are willing to buy in for that amount.But IMO it probably gonna end up been a STT more than anything. I dont know if it would be more interesting to watch than a 200/400 deep cash game.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 1984ioc
      Not in good shape???He is 65% favorite.I think it was a nice gesture by him and obviously Benyamine was happy to take it hough slightly embarrassing at the same time.If he was out of his depth making all in bets he shouldn't have been on the game.

Good point as well BigOVERBET.I completely agree with what you say.If people can afford it,let them do what they want with their money.Take no notice of Selbst.She has obviously forgotten that the stakes and buy in levels she plays are well over what most poker players even dream of.

Also the charity gesture is very good.Its like a pro-am event in golf.Could possibly raise millions so i dont think we are in a position to moan about it.Jealous,yes of course ;-)
      i mean benyamine is not in good shape;)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Who cares about the buy in? Those who are bankrolled for it will play it and that's it. We're used to seeing millions on the tables on tv shows.

I like that there's a chunk of it going to charity.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Obviously it is always good if there is money going towards charity.

I think it will also be good for poker too in terms of watching it on TV. Quite a lot lately I have been watching Poker games and some of the worlds best players like Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan etc are the first players eliminated after they have went all in pretty light.

I would really like to see the worlds best players playing for money that has some significance to them and see the plays they make when there is big pressure on.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      To most players a 1M buyin is just as unaffordable as a 10k buyin, but noone is whining about 10k$ buyins being held.

Im just speechless that someone can come out critisizing a tournament that donates 111k$ to charity for every entry LOL. While Vanessa and some other bitches are sad to be moving down a place on the overall tournament profit leaderboards 10.000 africans get food etc. 1st world problems vs 3rd world problems and some people are actually sympathizing with Vanessa... jesus christ
    • Xenon50
      Xenon50
      Bronze
      i think its good for poker, who doesnt want to see eye watering money being staked on the turn of a card right on the big screen?

obviously the fact the money goes to charity is good but i dont think these kinds of events are what people should associate poker with, i certainly hope it doesnt become the norm to see games like these being played all the time.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I would like to say that I didn't read that 11.1% of each buyin will go toward his charity. While I don't really trust Guy Laliberte (Even if he's born in the same province as me in a city close to mine), and I doubt about the true actions of his fundation, I can't say that giving money to charity is a bad idea.

Giving money to charity = always good

Poker wise? Not too sure if this event is good. Won't it just proves that poker players are just degens if they play? Nobody maybe except Dwan has the BR for this...
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      I love how Ivey has now been replaced by Dwan ^ haha.

I agree with everything ihufa said. Spot on.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      pretty brutal if Guy is not giving 100% to his charity but like 25% and rest goes to pocket....
      he is a devil then:D
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      I think it's both.
      Poker is an awesome, magnificent game and charity is an honest, heart-warming act of helping the ones in need, obvious stated, getting to the point, which is: why combine it together? Why? Let's face it, there is no limit in high stakes poker, even the title gives that away and it is the most arrogant game/sport/activity/hobby (call it however you like it) because it's really doesn't value money. It might sounds stupid, but than again, read the title. I'm talking about the highest stakes and not about poker in general. Even though every time we read the world 'charity' we instatnly think something along the lines of "ohhh, that's nice!" with a smile on our face why would you want to connect the highest stakes poker where people are like "He can't have anything, let's bluff him out - I'm all in with xm$" and starving kids where every $ could mean lives.

Now, don't jump me, I understand, charity is charity, but this is really controversial to say the least.
    • hamid88
      hamid88
      Bronze
      Bad for poker community? Obviously no. We get to watch people gambling millions!

For the players? no... Because they aren't being forced to play in it.

I don't see how it's bad in any way. And the fact that part of the money will be going towards charity, i think its great.