Losing 2 pair to trips

• Jeffpm07
      Ok, lately i have been noticing that a lot of the big hands i lose are when I have two pair and it isn't possible for them to have a strait or a flush. I dont have any particular hands I can post right now, but any tips on getting an idea when they have trips/when to fold my two pair?

Also another question on a different topic - getting reads.

I have no programs to show any sort of stats or anything and it usually takes me a while to get any idea on anyone. After a while I can usually tell if someone is very loose or very tight and if they are always trying to steal the pot, but other than that not much, and its usually only for a few people at the table.
  • 5 replies
    • EggHead
      With top 2 pair or top and bottom pair, and no flush or straight possible, then just stack off and usually you will be ahead. With bottom two pair you have to be a little more careful, but it's usually profitable to stack off. This is assuming that you usually only see a flop with 1 or 2 other players, if this is not the case then your pre-flop strategy may not be ideal.
    • Odieone
      Yeah I tend to have the same problem...

My bogey pair is Jacks. I find when my pocket pairs are Jacks or lower, I hesitate even in Middle position where I should raise instead of call. Often, I let players coast to see the flop and they make their sets, good enough to play with. Then luck takes over. :rolleyes:

I then to be more aware of my positions now.
    • chenny8888
      post hands. i think on the lower limits it's ok, but definitely at the higher limits, 2pair is rarely good on drawless boards...
    • srohack
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      post hands. i think on the lower limits it's ok, but definitely at the higher limits, 2pair is rarely good on drawless boards...
      2pair or even TPTK can be both good or bad ... the limit doesnt matter . it is player dependent . sometimes is very good to stack with tptk and othertimes is very good to fold 2 pairs
    • dirtyibis
      I think any 2 pair is good on drawless boards, given certain circumstances. Much will depend on finding the correct stack to pot ratio vs given opponents which will make these decisions easy and allow you to get all in profitably. Study your preflop raising and bet sizing. If you are finding you stack off too easy, you're probably not raising enough pre, or betting too much and not using pot control methods. The situation you describe often comes up in multi way full ring pots which is really difficult and theres not much you can do. In aggressive shorthanded games often good players are only playing premium hands and pocket pairs so on drawless boards you can really put these players on a set and they will often play it straightforwardly. Don't beat yourself up too bad about this because we all stack off with 2 pair. Go over your hand history for when you stack off in these situations and youll soon figure out the optimal play and what type of players you dont want to play big pots against