continuation bet sizing

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Helloo

when I'm making a continuation bet on the flop I have been betting 1/2 pot size bet against 1 opponent on a dry board, this seems to be standard advice on mss and bss. Im a little confused by this bet sizing as pretty much my standard play with any made hand is 2/3 - 3/4 of the pot if villian is fairly clued up will he not see straight through this type of play and also does the half pot size bet not indicate weakness?
      Any advice on this would be great :P

Roo
  • 9 replies
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      That advice is meant to get you started. Your bet-sizing should generally the same precisely so your opponents don't get any reads.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      That advice is meant to get you started. Your bet-sizing should generally the same precisely so your opponents don't get any reads.

Thanks matel im just setting up my stats and using hem leakbuster to improve this part of my game and was not quite sure about this type of bet sizing

Roo
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Of course you should wait for more answers from more experienced players. :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Depends on the oponent, board texture and your hand strength of course.

With a made strong hand v the common check/call type of station bet hard even pot size, they won't care and call with any sniff of a draw like a gutshot anyway.

Versus nitty types 1/2 is plenty if you miss, as they mostly play fit-or-fold anyway.

With any oponent you need to check out their fold2cbet%. If you miss by miles and they have a 25% fold2cbet then I wouldn't bother at all most times.

Obviously because of allthis we need some idea of villains range, or we can be cbetting 'just because that's what we do' which doesn't explain why we are betting and can just be wasting money.

I hope my waffle is understandable..unfortunately Hasenbraten I am not! LOl.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Depends on the oponent, board texture and your hand strength of course.

With a made strong hand v the common check/call type of station bet hard even pot size, they won't care and call with any sniff of a draw like a gutshot anyway.

Versus nitty types 1/2 is plenty if you miss, as they mostly play fit-or-fold anyway.

With any oponent you need to check out their fold2cbet%. If you miss by miles and they have a 25% fold2cbet then I wouldn't bother at all most times.

Obviously because of allthis we need some idea of villains range, or we can be cbetting 'just because that's what we do' which doesn't explain why we are betting and can just be wasting money.

I hope my waffle is understandable..unfortunately Hasenbraten I am not! LOl.
      not waffle Gadget excellent bit of advice here! I'm just trying to get a better grip on this part of my game and I have deffo been guilty of cbetting "because thats what we do type of play!!" I'm spending this weekend studying as much as I can on conti betting in the hope my small brain will take some of it on board thank you. :)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      And there are also times when you don't or shouldn't cbet
    • gsergiul
      gsergiul
      Bronze
      I say it depends on how observant you think your opponents are. If you think a smaller cbet (when you don't have a made hand) will do the same job as a bigger one then do that. If you think your opponents will call a bigger bet when you have a made hand then do that. People you will play against won't have that much time with you to pick up on those things especially in the micros.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      cbet size should give you fold equity based on villains player type. otherwise cbetting as a bluff does not make sense, and should be only for value or as a semi-bluff in some cases.

cbetting based on " how observant " you think your opponents are is kind of a bad idea, as most villains in low limits do not know what to do with the information that is given to them. that is EXACTLY the reason why they will not move up...

this is the reason small stakes players are told to avoid worrying about balance.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      +1