[NL2-NL10] NL10 - J set, straight draw completes on turn

• yayasarika
      yayasarika
      Bronze
      Cassava Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1413949
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $11.94
      UTG+1: $3.79
      UTG+2: $14.08
      MP1: $6.40
      MP2: $13.42
      CO: $15.47
      Hero (BTN): $10.00
      SB: $5.42
      BB: $10.93

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with J :diamond: J :heart:
      UTG calls $0.10, 3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.65) 2 :heart: T :heart: J :club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $2.18, MP2 calls $2.18

Turn: ($7.01) Q :club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $6.62, MP2 calls $6.62

River: ($20.25) 9 :spade: (2 players)

Hi,

Villain played 17/10 over 360 hands.

So flopped top set on a very drawy board. I bet big for protection, is the bet big enough?

A/K draw completes on the turn but I think he can have more hands than A/K here (I think his 3bet calling range is something like 88+,AJs+,AQo+, after the big bet I think he has these hands left in his range on the turn TT+,AJs+,AKo) and with the board on the turn we are slightly ahead against that range.

So I decided to push for protection against worse hands that I don't want to give a free card to. + If he has pocket Q we are pretty much drawing dead but if he got A/K we got a few redraws.

What do you think, better to call behind? but what do we do if he push on the river after checking the turn (on a blank and on another card that completes some other straight or the flush respectively)?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello yayasarika,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: Pretty problematic actually to 3bet here for the reason that you might only get called by better hands. And at the best might get a coinflip if we get it in. For those given reasons that he is rather passive with his PFR I might even prefer just Calling and playing postflop.

As played
      Postflop: Bet sizing should be totally fine. Our plan to bet the flop big enough so we could ship the turn which you did achieve. So suits perfectly fine.

Best regards.