This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Call down with Top Pair

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Nearly folded on the turn, but looked at villians AF (6) and figured there was a good chance it could be a bluff play.

Could only really give villian credit for a potential two pair on the flop, or perhaps 2 clubs.

Once I called turn, I felt I had to call river, while its a scare card its hard to see how villian could have a 10, only really J,10 makes any sense given line taken but even that is unlikely.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $0.95
      MP2:
      $0.8
      Hero:
      $2.06

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:spade: , J:spade:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) J:club: , 8:heart: , 4:club: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.24) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24.

River: ($0.72) 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB raises $0.61 (All-In), Hero calls $0.61.

Final Pot: $1.94

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Qs Js)
      SB shows (Kc 5c)

Hero wins with a pair of jacks (Qs Js)
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Preflop: Perfect spot to isolate actually.

As played
      Postflop: It's still just a freeplay pot, is it really worth to make such hero-calls? Not a huge fan of them. :) But if you had any kind of reads then why not. Myself I'd most likely fold on turn while we were passive preflop.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Is QJs strong enough to be isolating with?

Considered the raise, but felt it will likely isolate me against stronger hands.

I assume the biggest benefit is that we have inititve on the flop? Can't represent such a strong hand when we just flat call?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Is QJs strong enough to be isolating with?

Of course it is. :) We might even sometimes take down it right preflop.

I assume the biggest benefit is that we have inititve on the flop? Can't represent such a strong hand when we just flat call?

Exactly. :) With initiative you can as well take it down more easier. Also if you do hit you can still extract value.

But obviously it's not a mistake to just limp-in either.