This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Failed semi-bluff

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Was happy with C-Bet on this flop, felt its +EV with staight draw, overcards and fold equity.

Turn bet was far more marginal. Villian had taken a long time to call bet on flop, felt there was a chance he may give up his hand on the turn, and figured I still have equity if he does call.

Better to play check/fold instead on turn, or play fine?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2
      CO:
      $0.41

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:spade: , Q:heart:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.07, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.15) J:spade: , J:diamond: , T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.1, CO calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.35) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, CO calls $0.24 (All-In).

River: ($0.83) 5:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $0.83

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows two-pair, jacks and eights (8d 8c)
      Hero shows (Ks Qh)

CO wins with two-pair, jacks and eights (8d 8c)
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Not a huge fan of donking. Rather just Check it and hope to see free cards. But as played nothing much to add.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Ye, it was really marginal, for me at least.

Knew I couldn't call if villian bets the turn, on balance I felt creating fold equity by betting myself was best.

If I had known villians cards I guess I could have checked knowing villian will struggle to bet himself with such a pair, allowing a free card. Its likely the best option.

Still a little marginal as you would imagine it wouldn't be an easy call for a villian with 88 in this spot, however after he calls the flop its unlikely he can find fold botton on turn when little has changed. Thats probbaly the over-riding consideration that makes it best not to bet.