Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $0.84
      MP1:
      $0.8

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , K:heart:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.06, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BB folds, MP1 raises to $0.80 (All-In), Hero calls $0.62.

Flop: ($1.62) T:diamond: , 6:spade: , 6:club:
      Turn: ($1.62) 5:club:
      River: ($1.62) J:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.62

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP1 shows two-pair, kings and sixes (Kd Kc)
      Hero shows (Ad Kh)

MP1 wins with two-pair, kings and sixes (Kd Kc)

im just curious, i know i want to be aggressive preflop with my AK but should i have just not called that bet on the grounds that i'm probably up against a big pocket pair? i understand that with MSS people call you off or even put you all in light simply because your stack isnt very large but im not too sure about how much this really does affect their play... the problem isn't me shoving with AK because in that situation i usually have the best of it. the problem is calling someone's big 3/4bet (one which puts me all int) with my AK.. also, i would like to know what to do in the same situation with JJ...
  • 1 reply
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello DrDunne!

We 3bet correctly with AKo according to the SHC. Logicwise: AK is in the top3% of hands in NLHE so we want to get more value out of it from people on your limits because they will definitly call with worse & dominated hands.

Now MP1 comes over the top and it is a matter of mathematics at this moment.

I recommend u to study Odds & Outs & Pot odds articles at:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/993/

Illustration in this hand:
      You have to call $0.62 to win $0.80+$0.03+$0.18

So the equation is
      1.01$ win by risking $0.62
      so oddswise that is 0.62 / (1.01+0.62) = 0.38 = 38% equity you need here to be break even.

Now a standard shove range from his side is AK+,QQ+ ( he is playing MSS as well

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    61.17%  40.46%  20.71% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }
      UTG+1  38.83%  18.12%  20.71% { AKo }

Now we make a profit here, in case we include JJ in this equation our equity rises to 42% hence we make even MORE profit

So that is why we get it in here

Best regards,
      Gerv