Lucky hands?

• Zareos
      There was an interesting hand at my NL 10 table earlier today.

One player was slating another at the end of the hand, calling him a "stupid, lucky fish". The reason? He played "his lucky hand" K9. I had already folded so watched the hand as a spectator.

The player who was angry had pocket rockets, raised pre-flop and was 3-bet by the player who was holding K9 suited. Pocket aces called (personally, I thought this was the fishiest move of the entire hand).

The flop delivered top set and a flush-draw for Mr Lucky. He slowplayed his set, calling the overpaired player's raise. He called. The turn and river came and gave our Lucky man the nut flush, and the angry man a set of Aces.

I'm sure you'll all agree, K9 really is his lucky hand.

Both went all in and K9 won a sizeable pot, queue the anger (in bold):

[B]"Wow, you raised with f*cking trash. Donk"[/B]

"It's my lucky hand. I'm no donk"

"Just saying that makes you a f**cking fish donk"

"Win like a man. Lose like a man"

It got me thinking, is he right? Is having a "lucky hand" a fishy move? I mean, Phil Ivey has his pocket Sixes. Do you guys have any lucky hands or tales of lucky hands?

My "lucky hand" is pocket Jacks. I know this isn't really the same as playing K9 etc... but 6 or 7 times that I can remember I've come up against a AA, KK or QQ and been all in per the strategy guides and flopped a set almost every time.
  • 5 replies
    • Kodark
      have a lucky hand only if your win ratio in your existing game allows you to play its correct odds if you see what i mean. Its more just to spice things up for yourself rather than a message from the gods.
    • mrkhaan
      I think that what makes a hand "lucky" is, usually, the player's mind, his selective memory and/or preferences.
      Let's say that you have had positive variance with 99 for the last 10k hands, often beating over pairs, finding lucky rivers, etc. Because you've seen this hand win so many times, you'll tend to think that this hand is your lucky one even if, after a while, variance will even out and you will start to win a more "normal" number of hands with your 99, your mind will still be set on that lucky streak.
      Now, the problem with that is a vicious one. Because you consider this hand lucky (By remembering some spectacular winnings associated with it for example), you may tend to take inconsiderate risks and start to lose big with it. So, thinking in terms of lucky and unlucky hands will tend to make you do donk moves.
      It is all about variance, and variance tends to even out in the very long run. Every hand has a general value and a context value, adding luck consideration in the equation when making a move is not a good idea in my opinion because it will make you think less rationally and will make you gamble more in situations in which you should fold. That may seriously cost you in the long run.
      I think it is absolutely normal to have preferred hands, I personally love 8To and 67s, but, loving those hands wont make me do crazy calls or reraises because I am aware of the real value of those hands. Loving those hands wont make them better, winning big in a certain period of time with those hands will not last forever.
      As a conclusion, I think it is better to think in terms of favorites hands than lucky hands, this will make you less often think " screw it, this is my lucky hand, I call and we'll see." which is clearly EV- in the long run.
    • BadeaCelRau
      I used to have J8s as my lucky hand. I was flopping straights and completing flushes all day long and I could see it in the stats but after a while it evened out. I still remember though and try to play this hand when the price is moderate, this is so fishy :f_biggrin:
    • EmanuelC16
      Strangely enough, AA is my lucky hand! :f_biggrin:
    • gsergiul
      Queen Ten is my "lucky" hand. More like personal trademark because when I played with my buddies over a beer I'd always play it like aces or some stuff like that and it kept them wondering when I really had a hand. Hmmm does he have Queen Ten?