What to think when hitting a downswing UPDATE

• SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze

By far the biggest downswing I've had.. Is this normal? (NL25)

What to say to yourself when this happens? I feel kinda cursed right now... these are sick beats, 2 outers and other shit...and its not all, some hands didn't make it into EV graph...

Need some mental help..
  • 17 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey SR1337L,

Whats the problem? Obviously it sucks that you are running bad but it could be far far worse.

You havn't really had a downswing, its like 4 bi's right? This really is part of poker and you just have to keep grinding to remove the variance, some people have 50bi+ downswings, so really you shouldn't worry at all. Lets have a look at a few of the positives..

Positives

1) Its good to see that the level your play isn't dropping even though you are running bad (you're ev line is very good :) )

2) Yeah you're running bad, but still you havn't lost any money. Some people have ridiculous downswings where they lose all their bankroll, at least you have a bankroll there for you for when you start to run good again

3) Its 12k hands! I know it may seem frustrating, but it really isn't many hands... I spoke to a friend about a similar situation yesterday (I'm running 17bi below ev in the last 9k hands) and for variance to even out you really need to play over 100k hands.
      sion, keep

Enough of the depression, you're doing fantastic. The poker gods will soon shine on you and I'm sure you will have a green line that matches your red line in short time :)

Keep at it mate, and let us know how you do (update the garphs :) )
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Why don't you take a look at the +++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++ it really is pretty great and lots of people have been in similar situations to yourself.

If you still aren't satisfied, maybe you can ask a question in there?
    • METALzx
      METALzx
      Bronze
      first thought might be

"Hey, it's only 6bi under ev"

lol
    • SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze
      actually it's 9BI under EV :evil: :D

But thanks for the replys, pleno you made me feel better already! :)

Have already read Jared's thread and found very helpful!
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      You lost 4BIs? On a downswing you can lose that in a day, until you reach a total of 40BIs.

Review your game plan, put in some volume and understand that you had a temporary setback, not a downswing.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      "Oh fuck here we go again"
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      You play NLHE, right? At least you don't have to go through this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze
      I'm not here to complain. Just wanted some tips how to stay on your A-game when these kind of things happen. This is the first downswing over 4BI for me, so ofcourse I'm a little bummed/worried...
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I only played nl4 FR 10 tables last weekend but I went from BR $107 to $58 and came off in one session.. went back on an hour later - down to $25 - gulp I'm going broke here...oh bugger I've never been broke, this is scary...3hrs later I have $148..wtf?

I don't know your standard but because I own my limit I have 2 or 3 days sometimes when I can't seem to win a thing; the usual 4, 3, 2 or 1 outer crap.

As a diamond though I expect you know the solution; 'Decision correct, result irrelevant.' :)

I rant too though just the same, it never affects my next decion though - right or wrong.

Bet your MOJO is back in two days :)
    • SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze

As you can see things haven't improved... Can't seem to win anything... 13BI under EV, not to mention coolers. Dropped a limit but the same thing continues... I'm now thinking of taking a break...

I can't even think straight anymore.. Everytime a draw or a flush hits I instantly start to think I'm beat... And also I have started tilting...

I was just about to change the poker room.... but I guess this has to wait..
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      what sngs player should show when having 10bi downsing is very standard.I dont think anyone could say that he is running bad until he has 30bi downsing in sng or 20+bis in cash
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SR1337

As you can see things haven't improved... Can't seem to win anything... 13BI under EV, not to mention coolers. Dropped a limit but the same thing continues... I'm now thinking of taking a break...

I can't even think straight anymore.. Everytime a draw or a flush hits I instantly start to think I'm beat... And also I have started tilting...

I was just about to change the poker room.... but I guess this has to wait..
      Now man... seriously. Do two things: (1)Take a break of at least 3 days... 7 days if necessary and (2) drop down a limit (which you may have done already).

Come back after this with a fresh mind and don't try to push too hard before doing this.
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      What should i say when i run so tricky bad?

Oh supernova....so sweet!!!!A sng blog

Just look the last post
    • SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ulairiiii

Just look the last post

Most of these are pf AI w live cards... my beats happen when 2 outers hit on the river... and you can't compare sng and cash game EV.

Thing is I've played poker on and off for two years... Daily last two months and my biggest run under EV has been 4 BI. So this just looks so wrong!
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ulairiiii

Just look the last post

Most of these are pf AI w live cards... my beats happen when 2 outers hit on the river... and you can't compare sng and cash game EV.

Thing is I've played poker on and off for two years... Daily last two months and my biggest run under EV has been 4 BI. So this just looks so wrong!

4bi worst downswing in two years?
    • SR1337
      SR1337
      Bronze
      As long as I've used stats yes!(1.5years) I have been playing with pauses and been really active since march this year.
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      As long as I've used stats yes!(1.5years) I have been playing with pauses and been really active since march this year.

first time in my life i see something like that