[NL2-NL10] NL 10 FR bottom set in a multiway pot, overplayed?

• Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Known players:
      MP1:
      $8.61
      MP2:
      $4.25
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.40
      BU:
      $9.71
      SB:
      $3.75
      BB (Hero):
      $13.41
      UTG1:
      $12.66
      UTG2:
      $8.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, 4.
      UTG2 posts deadblind, UTG1 folds, UTG2 checks, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.50, 2 folds, BU calls $0.50, SB folds, Hero calls $0.40, UTG2 folds.

Flop: ($1.65) 4, 6, 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.90, BU raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $12.91(All-In), MP2 calls $2.85(All-In), BU calls $6.21.

Turn: ($27.52) T (3 players)

River: ($27.52) 2 (3 players)

Final Pot: $27.52.

UTG posts and shortstack 17/2 over 325 hands isolates which kinda makes it scary already however fullstack BU calls and invites me in with my baby pair, now the fact that button is 16/12 over 831 hands makes me think he would call with rather strong range against shortstack who raised somewhat big, so when 456 flop hits I have bot set and I think it's good against their possible holdings. I go for the check raise hoping at least one of them has overpair, however further action is heavier than I expected it to be. Raiser cbets and a gigantic raise from button. At that time I was pretty much in "Me has a set, me raise" state of mind and looking back I actually think I had a reason to belive I am good on this board since BU who judging by his preflop stats has at least decent starting hands selection wouldn't call a big raise from a shortstack with 55, 66 or 87 but rather it is a battle of overpairs.

a) Was I overestimating my hand strength in this particular situation?

b) Should I laydown such hand if stack size setup is different (everyone has a full stack) since it is more likley I am beat already?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Steelbrewer,

True that BU range could be towards PPs. But still can we fold our hand as we played it this way? Myself I'd rather even be inclined to donk myself on flop and would have got a lot more information from our hand than just going for a Check. Then also we could decide according to the play how we gonna act.

But as played I don't think that I would change much. We could of course just Call there and let MP2 to ship the stacks in but shouldn't be that off to just ship it directly either.

Also it's hard to fold while we even don't know the opponent that much and just have VPIP/PFR here.

Best regards.