matel17

• 15 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he matel - being the first guy,are you proud?
      Would you tell us a bit about what do you want to achieve during the school? When did you start to play and who is your greatest poker hero?

greetings from Gibraltar,SvenBe
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Of course :D but I'm more excited than proud! Can't wait to begin the course. I'm a sit n go player but I'm very looking forward to what must be the best possible introduction to cash! Of course, I hope this will give me the momentum I need to become a winning regular at the cash tables.

I joined pokerstrategy a year ago and got my $50 on full tilt. Unfortunately I couldn't get to grips with bad beats and downswings and playing poker was becoming unhealthy. At the same time I was very busy with uni 2nd year so I slowly stopped playing for some months. This summer I came back and working harder and better than ever!

As for poker heros I admire Tom Dwan obviously and read a lot about Stu Ungar. But my real hero is coach Lessthanthree.

Matt
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Poker strategy fascinates me. It's amazing to me how intricate and in depth the thinking during a game needs to be. Poker is not just a card game and obviously it is not gambling - It's an intellectual game where people are put to the test and where the most disciplined, the most in control emerge winners. Coupled with the promise of money, what's not to like? :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I can be very result-oriented. I look at my bankroll way to often while I'm playing and I think this loosens my concentration.

I also get angry at bad beats sometimes, but for the bigger part this is in control.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

It means that only a narrow selection of hands are played - the ones that have a (much) more than average chance of getting value. This means that you'd avoid marginal situations which are either difficult to play or just plain unprofitable.

Playing aggressive means that you consistently take the lead in the hand by betting/raising rather than checking/calling. It works because you are constantly forcing the opponents to make decisions, sometimes tough ones, and induce mistakes. Also, passive play relies on showdown to win while aggression takes advantage of fold equity.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello matel17,

Have seen myself so many people who are still thinking that poker is gambling. :D But of course it's actually somewhat true. Since if you for example don't use proper BRM, are pretty much not playing according the math and do some fancy moves then that's true that it's a bit gambling. But if you fix everything which will help you solid poker then it's no-more gambling.

One of the things I did realize that a lot of people who are checking their BR often enough they might get even easier tilted. Since if you see that you loose money this means that you will as well get easier tilted. Rather try to avoid that, close the Cashier and maybe once a while take a look how many BIs are you down for stop-loss technique.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

First of all I sometimes experimented with opening lighter against loose passive opponents especially in position. This is because I think I can get value out of these players who like to see a lot of flops but aren't stubborn and can let go of a hand. Secondly I limp with more marginal hands when there are many limpers before me. I have learned this from sngs and the reason is that the pot would have gotten larger and is worth a call with for example 68s or 79s. These hands can hit the board nicely and you're bound to get some action with so many limpers.

On the other hand I am uncomfortable 3betting hands like AK out of position. I don't like playing a big pot out of position with a hand that can completely miss! This is something I will have to address.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

Not a difficult hand but I can use the correction. I find myself unable to continue the hand very often when I'm OOP. I want to play straightforward poker but at the same time this gives out a lot of information to the opponent so I find myself asking what to do next.

Nl2 Aj Oop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

According to Equilab this is 46.32%. How do you calculate this manually?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you could limp.

Limping with those SCs is totally fine. Although you have to watch out for postflop play and not to overplay your hand if you for example just hit a pair or anything. Have to be ready to fold.

On the other hand I am uncomfortable 3betting hands like AK out of position. I don't like playing a big pot out of position with a hand that can completely miss! This is something I will have to address.

Take into account that sometimes you might even go for 3bet/Fold with AKo and turn your hand into bluff. The same goes for AQ, it's not always for value.

How do you calculate this manually?

It's a bit more difficult to do the calculation without using a equilab. Also I wouldn't advice to waste the time. :D Rather waste it on something more useful like using equilab and analyzing your own hands. You gonna need to go through all the hands and with different calculations and then add together and a lot of stuff to calculate. :D Also you wouldn't learn much with the calculations.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much.
      What do you mean by Fit/Folding?

Originally posted by veriz Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
      Thanks and yes the school is fun. Still have some reading to do before I submit hw 3 but it should go well.

ps. Tonight's coaching was amazing :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Fit/Fold means that the players plays according if he hits he continues. If he doesn't hit then he just folds.

Yeah, coaching was entertaining for me as well. If you have any feedback, feel free to write anything you want to say to this thread:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=146167

Till that have fun in the Course. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz, was last week's coaching posted?

I had seen you calculate what hand strength you need to call a raise, depending only on the guy's raise and what's left on both of your stacks. How is this done please?
    • tofu22
      tofu22
      Bronze
      you get verizs calculator in the coaching feedback forum (the link i think is above) + equilab. you calculate the equity you need for a call in the said calc and if equity for a given range in equilab is higher you can call. the pot odds one i think is self explanatory (or just watch the coaching).
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      yes but there was one instant where he did it without assigning a range to an opponent!
    • tofu22
      tofu22
      Bronze
      you mean when he was calculating implied pot odds? there you only need total pot + amount to call and the odds you get with your draw, there was nothing else.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Did you get your answer? :) If not just let me know or which specific situation are you talking about. I could explain you.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Hey coach, I apologize for not posting my hws. Some things came up but I'll catch up this wekk.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by matel17
      Hey coach, I apologize for not posting my hws. Some things came up but I'll catch up this wekk.
      Don't worry about it. :) Just feel free to post whenever you have time.