Madzunar

• MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Hello from Serbia, i am 26y old, having a full time job for 8 years now, and trying to change that with poker :)

I started playing poker in 2009 with Fixed Limit FR, i played for a month or two, then stop/cashout, rinse and repeat few more times during the years, but now i deposited again at PokerStars and trying to build something out of it.

I want to learn more about NL, to see if it suits me more than FL, so thats the main reason im here.

- RejZ (MadzunaR)
  • 5 replies
    • MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK #1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My main motivation is to make enough money to support my family thru poker. As i said in introduction im a full time employee, and for now my immediate goal is to learn poker, move up limits and start making money to support my job income. Also, for better or for worse im a stubborn person :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      As a FL player im accustomed to see many a showdown, hopefully i can change this in NL play.

Second, and i think the most important problem that i have, is to not know when to stop playing, what i mean is sometimes i make 50+BB in a session and just keep playing even if my concentration suffers (after 3+ hrs of play) and in the end end with much less BBs won or even in -BB.

Also when im having bad beats and losing way to much i still keep on playing trying hard to get that money back, ie, yesterday i lost 30BB, then tried to play on a higher limit lost 15BB, then regained it all back, and instead of stop playing i continue and start to lose again and tilt so hard i lose more than 100BB (this is all FL). I must enforce some stop loss, or something like that, strategy.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      For me it means playing a carefully selected (+EV) starting hands preflop, and playing aggressively postflop according to the board/oppononent(s) im playing.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MadzunaR,

So with the new BR you planning to play NL or still playing FL? What do you like more? :)

I am pretty sure that FL is very nice game as well. But you have to try avoiding seeing too many showdowns in NL since it will cost you a lot money unless you getting really good odds. We definitely have to work on that.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play. We will even have this kind of article in our plan. :)

Best regards.
    • MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Hi m8,

As of yesterday i ain't playing anything, just reading the articles on BSS and probably start playing NL10 today/tomorrow (have the BR from FL).

For now i will try to focus on pot control with top pairs/overpairs and trying to not overbluff pots :)

3BI stop-loss seems like a good plan for the beginning, before i get a feel for the game.

Thanks.

Best regards
    • MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK #2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?
      Well i played few K hands on NL10 FR, but now im transitioning to NL10SH, which is really cool, just played it a bit yesterday and a day before and had a great upswing/luck, but im mainly reading articles and watching videos.

Back to the question, since im starting to play SH im using ORC for SH play and for now i would not play anything differently till i get much much more experience :)

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.
      NL10SH A8s preflop play

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?
      46.324%
      :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well if you are pretty much new to SH or even FR then I would try to advice to stick to the chart. Although in SH you will very likely even adjust faster since there you can't play that much according to the SHC, you will be playing more hands on BTN sometimes even and sometimes less. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.