Coolers - bad luck or bad play?

• foolboydesire
      foolboydesire
      Bronze
      We all had it, pre-flop you go in with KK and opponent shows AA, or on the dry flop you have AA overpair and opponent shows a set of 5's or even a two pair, etc etc.
      Unlike the bad beats you can't just put in on the bad luck as theoretically a lot of times it can be avoided, but just as well it doesn't mean you played it bad just because you lost to a stronger hand...

What are your thoughts on it? Generally speaking :)
  • 7 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I think that unlike the bad beats you can't just put in on the bad luck as theoretically a lot of times it can be avoided, but just as well it doesn't mean you played it bad just because you lost to a stronger hand..

Generally speaking :)
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I think that unlike the bad beats you can't just put in on the bad luck as theoretically a lot of times it can be avoided, but just as well it doesn't mean you played it bad just because you lost to a stronger hand..

Wtf a serious comment from nightfrostass? Or is he trolling me into believing that he's seriously serious?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MathhNes
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS

Wtf a serious comment from nightfrostass? Or is he trolling me into believing that he's seriously serious?
      Read the OP.... :coolface:
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      i think neither a true cooler or a true bad beat can be avoided. OP says you can techcnially avoide coolers but tbh i think if anything you can do more to avoid bad beats. What are you going to do? fold kk preflop to avoide running into aa?

of course i am only speaking generally as is the general trend of this thread. Generally speaking
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I'm no general but coolers to me are the situations which are unavoidable like KK V AA pre which has been mentioned or if you flop a set with no flush or straight possibilities and run into someone with a bigger set.

So in my opinion it's not bad play at all if you experience a cooler.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by foolboydesire
      We all had it, pre-flop you go in with KK and opponent shows AA, or on the dry flop you have AA overpair and opponent shows a set of 5's or even a two pair, etc etc.
      Unlike the bad beats you can't just put in on the bad luck as theoretically a lot of times it can be avoided, but just as well it doesn't mean you played it bad just because you lost to a stronger hand...

You can't avoid stacking off KK pre but Overpair postflop can easily be folded especially vs trun and river c/r.

If you check your DB for how many times your overpair was good at showdown once you've got raised on turn or especially the river you'll find that your good like 10% of the time at best since people don't have the balls to check jam the river as a bluff or value cut themselfs.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Originally posted by foolboydesire

You can't avoid stacking off KK pre but Overpair postflop can easily be folded especially vs trun and river c/r.

If you check your DB for how many times your overpair was good at showdown once you've got raised on turn or especially the river you'll find that your good like 10% of the time at best since people don't have the balls to check jam the river as a bluff or value cut themselfs.
      I agree but i'm not sure i would call losing with just one pair post flop a cooler. I think by definition bad beats and coolers are unavoidable.