Cpwpoker

• Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      I forgot my intro so here it is :

Hi all,

Am from mauritius playing poker for like 1 2 years maybe? I was trying to get 36 months on FTP to get the best of the iron man bonus and I was I think 26 month before black friday.

I played in a lot of site and actually playing on poker770 with the staking they offered to me via pokerstrategy and its not working really well. I was up by 70$ and now back to step 1.

Due to work/study *ACCA* could not really study poker properly so this poker school is a chance for me to get motivated to learn without forgetting about my work and acca xD

I will try to read all the articles , watch all the videos and also watch the podcast as I don't think I will be able to go to the coaching session.

Hope I will be a good student,

Cya at the table

Cpwpoker :D
  • 17 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey Cpwpoker,

Welcome to the Beginners Course!

Looking forward to see you on the forum and good luck with your study.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
      Ingrid
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      1. - Read the articles:

» The rules of Texas Hold'em -

[x] Read !

» What is the Big Stack Strategy?

[x] Read !

Since it was long ago since I read this articles - just reading it make me think about my current play.

» 7 tips on How to Become a Successful NL Player

[x] Read !

But did not read the 5 articles which they asked me to read as I think they will come in the next lesson. Will try to post in the hand evaluation section after each poker session :D

2. - Watch the videos:

Yay complete - I won't get discourage by short term variance and will try to increase my skill instead of focusing on increase my bankroll :)
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Hey Cpwpoker,

Welcome to the Beginners Course!

Looking forward to see you on the forum and good luck with your study.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
      Ingrid
      Thanks Ingrid :D

But AM THE UNLUCKIEST GUY on the earth xD lolz

So will will try to beat luck with hard work >___<
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Dream - Since I first watch WSOP my dream was to be become a poker pro another dream is to become one of the best accountant in my country also

Money - I want money money money xD ! No seriously just winning 300$ per month via poker is equal to the average basic salary in Mauritius. I want to work and have poker as a side/main revenue depending on how much I go well.

Challenge - Poker is a game of skill not a gamble game. I hate gamble and for me gamble is playing against the bank while poker is playing against other players its like a competition to see who is better. Like slowplaying a full house or making a plan to make your opponent go broke all those if work make us super happy !

Free time - My life = Work, Study, Working out and poker When i dont work study or train I have some free time so instead of losing it doing nothing why not try to get some revenue ? And poker somewhat make me feel alive due to all those drama with bad beat or super winning hand after a good reading from an opponent.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Unlucky - Am the unluckiest guy on earth xD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad play - A lot of bad play from me

Impatience - Am not the patient time after some time I start to make
      mistakes if I have not win some hands due to impatience.

Multi-tabling - I play too much table at a time thinking about rakeback or
      bonus which make me a break-even / loosing player.

Draws - I play too much draws.

Bluff - I bluff too much against 16/15 players

Concentration - Am not concentrating enough.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Tight-Aggressive - From what I read not only on pokerstrategy but everywhere is the optimal play style for being a winning player.

Tight means not to play everyhand playing only hand which have the better chance to win. The hand to be played seem to be determine by in what position you are. By playing only a selective number of hand we are reducing the odds to loose money and as we are playing more or less only strong hand it increase the odds of winning.

Aggressive means to play our strong hand aggressively. Not to be a calling station as most of the time only calling preflop will make you loose after the flop. Playing aggressive will put pressure on your opponents and make them make mistake while they will always asked themself why we are raising making them doubt their hands.

Tight-Aggressive is the NL bss style that we will learn during this poker school which will make us put pressure on our opponents while being tight reducing the pressure on us by learning to fold.

Hope am not too late for Lesson1 Q__Q
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Cpwpoker,

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Why unluckiest guy on earth? :D I guess everyone could say that and I have even seen people who say that in live poker. :D Had once a tourney play who was complaining about that. But what do you think, what will help you further and becoming better. Always complaining or trying to find a way to fix the problem and not be anymore unluckiest person on earth.

Playing too many tables ain't the best way to play. If you want beat the limit then why to play too many tables? Not really worth and also you wont learn enough from playing that many tables.

Concentration can be practiced and of course we have once again to force ourselves to concentrate more. Like close all distraction like reading forum and etc while playing.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Thanks for your kind reply lolz

Yes I know but but but no but I will try to work hard.

Am waiting for a withdrawal from poker770 to deposit on pokerstars (32$) and will play NL 2 for 4-6 table instead of my usual 16 tables on poker770 during the poker school and will try not to play well but not to make mistakes and try to make my opponent make mistakes :D

Am the unluckiest guy on earth as never thing go like I want - not only in pocket but also in life lol but am still convince that hard work beat bad luck >_<!

As soon as I start to play I will post hand and will wait for you feedback :)

For concentration its because of my gf who misscall me every five min if I did not reply to her sms xD !

Quotation of the day "Behind every losing poker player is a gf"

lolz just joking :s_biggrin:
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Another one of my big problem is :

If i check my stats am a losing player with pairs. It is normal or not?

So what should I do if I have Ak preflop someone after me call and I hit my Ace?

1. bet if opponents re-raise I fold?
      2. Check if opponents bet i raise/fold?
      3. Panicked and go all-in (this one for fun)

Normally if it is a loose player I do 1 for value
      A tight player I do 2 for safety.
      When am on tilt I do 3 but not for fun for mistakes to be discuss by the coach xD

I know it depends on my opponents but what will help my pair hands get green instead of red?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hehe but we can't live without women. :(

About pairs, it's not normal to be loosing with them. If you have enough of sample then they should be the most earning hands for you.

So what should I do if I have Ak preflop someone after me call and I hit my Ace?

1. bet if opponents re-raise I fold?
      2. Check if opponents bet i raise/fold?
      3. Panicked and go all-in (this one for fun)

Depends really on the situation and the board. In some situations we definitely even would consider answer 1., usually Checking is out of question but rather Bet as standard line.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze

Its a 33k sample :s_cry: !

I think I play pair badly >_>

I will put this one together with my weaknessess sensei T___T

Usually when I raise with my pair they have better when am passive with it they have nothing xD

Btw where can i get the podcast for coaching week 1 ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Wouldn't say that badly. But as it seems that you are also overplaying 2pairs since it is loosing almost the same amount as a pair which it actually shouldn't be like that.

Podcast 1 will be not upload I guess, we decided to give out the 1st school one since it had a lot more information and questions. And somehow it took me 2h10mins. :D The first ones are pretty much intro anyways they ain't gonna consist a lot important material.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Everytime i got a two pair on flop and there is a draw board i ended up broke as they always hit :D

but will try to get better and be careful with those double-edge sword >_<

snif still waiting for withdrawal from poker770 to be able to play and pratice what I learn in the lesson 1 & 2.

Currently reading the articles for lesson 2 then will post my answer to the questions.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands are to be played?

The BSS SHC don't take account the following :

The raise of the guy
      The stack of the guy
      The history of the guy
      The type of player the guy is.

So depending on the information I have above I can play differently from the SHC. For eg someone min bet and I know he will fold if I 3bet him due to the fact that he is weak I will 3bet and make him fold.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Due to the fact that I have no bankroll for now I will search a hand and post it asap from past hands xD

Edit : NL2 JJ vs fish

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo? ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

46.3% ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally true about your thoughts. SHC doesn't take into account any opponents at all. Just practical hands and how you should play them and which are the easiest to play. Just some small guide for you for the beginning. The more experienced you get the more hands you gonna start to play and more wider. Also take into account by that that you should analyze the hands you play and see if you are playing them profitable or not.

Didn't expect to see such an equity with AKo?

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Lol for the equity no I was not sure how to use equity calculator xD that why I put a lot of ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(

But now I know that AKo is not good against a 5% nit.

But concerning equity as long as my equity is >50% I should try to play a hand if the pot is not to big and it cheap to go to the flop?

Like if villain is before me with 5%vpip and from my pocket cards I have 50% equity. If he :

Raise 3 BB I will call as I know I have 50% of beating him in flop?
      But if he raise like 6 BB I will tend to fold as he was already tight this big raise should be AA or KK or a bluff.
      Or should I just 3bet his raise and fold if he reraise as he will probably fold <AK JJ and QQ if he doesn't have 20call and shove with ACES and kings?

*headache*
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      But concerning equity as long as my equity is >50% I should try to play a hand if the pot is not to big and it cheap to go to the flop?

Yeah, totally. But of course we also have to take into account that in long run we might win but it doesn't mean that we can easily play postflop. The most mistakes come from postflop which we should try to avoid.

Raise 3 BB I will call as I know I have 50% of beating him in flop?

In this case we usually play for the implied odds and play for the set value. :) But of course depends on what kind of PP we have. Against some we might even play as overpair or something similar.

But if he raise like 6 BB I will tend to fold as he was already tight this big raise should be AA or KK or a bluff.

Not really. :) As we get the Call20 rule then we can simple even set-mine with PPs.

Or should I just 3bet his raise and fold if he reraise as he will probably fold <AK JJ and QQ if he doesn't have 20call and shove with ACES and kings?

If we don't get the Call20 rule then it might be often the case that we can't even 3bet anymore. Of course there are just so many different spots where we might raise, where we might not raise. Hard to say a default play.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply xD

Just had a NL2 session I made only a mistake which cost me $2 Q_Q

Like a friend of mine was saying better fold than make mistake >-<

Lesson 3

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.

AA post flop played badly?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, that's totally true. But it's rather if you don't know where you stand with your hand then fold it. :>