Eyewitness

• Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Hello!

My name is Andrei, i am 23 years old and i'm from Romania. I first made contact with Texas Hold'em and PokerStrategy on December 2010.

I lost the starting capital quite early after receiving it, then i had a break from poker. After a couple of months i've managed to make a small bankroll (~50$) on FullTilt by playing freerolls, and just when i started to play NL2 BSS Short-Handed FT was closed.

Now i have a 60$ bankroll on 888 poker, and about 30$ on PokerStars, but there i rarely play. I experienced Short Stack Strategy (but i can't take those swings anymore), a few STT's, and even less HU SNG's, and i have about 30-40k hands playng BSS strategy, mostly FullRing. Obviouslz, I only play NL2.

I'm happy to be part of this Beginners Course, i'm glad i can participate and i hope (and i'm quite sure of it) that after this course my poker skills will be much much better.

GL to everyone involved.

L.E.: My favourite poker player is Daniel Negreanu. Yes, because he has romanian roots, but also because of his great hand reading skills and his charisma.
      My poker hero is Liviu Ignat aka 0human0 on Stars. I really feel sorry for those of you who don't know romanian, and didn't hear him talking about poker. It's a real pleasure.
  • 9 replies
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      HomeWork.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I first joined PokerStrategy.com searching for a strategy to beat my friends in our home sit and go games. That was my first motivation, and i didn't wanted to beat them for the money involved (we used to play on very low buy-ins), but for being the master at the table. Of course, after joining the site and looking on the forum blogs, the mirage of making an easy living apperead. So i'd say my motivation is to learn the game very well, climb on the higher stakes, and thus making a living from playing poker. No boss, no schedule, and lots of money. Sounds pretty good, isn't it?

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I'm underestimating the other players at the table. I don't give them credit for having a better hand than mine. I overestimate the power of TopPair Top/Good kicker type hands. I go to showdown too often, never with bluffs or draws (except when i get good pot-odds on flop and turn) but with weak made hands.

Of course i tilt when i get several coolers or bad-beats in a row, but when i feel i'm nervous i just close the tables, i don't continue playing, and never go to a higher stake trying to recover the losses.

I'm pretty sure there are other tons of leaks, but the ones above are my bigest ones.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

The tight aggressive play is a guaranted strategy to make profit at the microstakes and probably low stakes (at medium and high stakes loosing up seems to be a better approach).

Being tight and aggressive means we don't play a lot of hands, but the one we decide to play we're playing aggressively. That means bets and raises instead of calls and checkings.

Playing TAG is profitable because we often have the best hand, and also because we can take down pots by two ways: having the best hand at showdown, or removing our opponents from the pots by beting and raising.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Eyewitness,

Welcome to our Beginners Course!

I hope you'll witness some cool study stuff in here and let us know how you get on :)

Ingrid
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      @ Ingrid: Thank you!

Ok, this are some hands that i posted today on the evaluation thread:

Hand 1 - Top Pair Good kicker...the hand type that give me headaches...

99 against maniac

AA 165BB deep

KQo straight on turn

AA draw heavy board

Will post more, stay tuned!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Eyewitness,

Gonna definitely take an eye on your hands.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Thank you coach for the advices and for the points. Nice to hear you'll take a look at the hands i posted. I'm apreciating your dedication to this project, and i'm really sorry i missed the previous school.

Altough i wasn't a geek in school, i'll definetely be one at this course.
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Hands posted on the evaluation thread:

NL2 QQ 3way pot

Nl2 Jj Oop

NL2 KQ TPGK again

NL2 A8s BTN

NL2 QQ K high board
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah, you did a very good work. :) It seems that you are more experienced player. How do you like so far the school, any ideas, thoughts about the course?
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Hey veriz!

Well, i have some experience, but i'm definetely still a beginner ( :f_mad: ) in BSS. I only played NL2 so far because of my bankroll, and didn't managed to move up. I have a positive winrate though, but not a big one.

I like this school, i'm sure i'll add a few BB/100 at my winrate after i graduate it. Maybe you should give us more homework, though? Or this one was so easy and short because it was the first one?

Best regards.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      This is just the beginning, there will be harder homeworks. :) We don't want to overwhelm you. Every week one homework. So you would have time to do whatever stuff you want or even watch/read other things and of course play poker.