funnyclock

• funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Registering for the beginner's course!

I'm a struggling player building a bankroll very slowly in FTP NL5-NL10 FR before the site went down. Started again grinding from NL2 in PP and currently playing NL4 6max. I probably have disciplines and math problems playing the game which is slowing down my progress a lot, and also the motivation/time to play at least 1k hands per day - thus hoping with the NL curriculum I can relearn everything again!
  • 9 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi funnyclock ,

Big welcome to Beginners Course, which will help you improve your game :heart:

I'm also playing nl2/nl4 6 max :D see you at the tables!

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Ingrid
    • funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

As I have mentioned before in my (inactive) blog, the main reasons I got into Poker is for it to become a profitable activity to compliment my lifestyle, instead of other computer gaming, competitive or not, which isn't +EV. In the meantime, Poker is fun and exercises my mathematical and decision making skills. In any case, I want to excel at anything I do, and Poker isn't out of that equation.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

1. One of my biggest weaknesses when playing poker can be contributed to my lack of discipline - not folding hands which are already behind post-flop. I think I have a pretty good idea how to play pre-flop profitably (at my current stakes) but my post-flop game definitely needs more improvement.

2. As a continuation to the above point, I need to work more on my hand-reading/range to improve my post-flop game.

3. One more weakness of mine is not putting in enough time at the tables itself. I want spend about 3 hours/day and netting about 900-1k hands but it's not happening and I'm not consistent up til now.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

As far as I know, being tight-aggressive is to play less hands, but play aggressively with the strong/premium hands in order to extract maximum value from the opponents. It works because at our current micro stakes, a lot of players play too loosely/bluff too much with weak hands and thus we can gain from playing tight-aggressive.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello funnyclock,

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Hand-reading/ranges will become better with time and experience. You can't really learn like everything with few days/months. But definitely the more time you put on putting opponents on ranges and analyzing hands will help you become even better in that even faster.

So as I understand you playing pretty much robotic play? Although which of course ain't very good but mainly gives a small overview of the beginner chart and how you should play your hands. In future I would still try to concentrate more on the table and the opponents. To become even better in hand-reading/ranges.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Thanks veriz.

I'm playing maximum 4-tables SH games right now at NL4 (moved down from NL10 FR) and I'm trying to put my opponent on ranges depending on how they made each move on the streets. As for pre-flop I'm not following any open raising charts just watching some videos and play my hands depending on the situations on each table. At about 20k hands I'm around 20/15 VPIP/PFR (approx)

I will try to post more hands for hand evaluation, though I review my hands after each session especially on the biggest losses but I'd always try to figure out what went wrong myself. I guess I should be more hardworking on posting hands.

Also a question: How do I get my password to access the forum? I needed to search from my own profile every time I want to come into my own thread.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hand posting always is helping and will help. :) Easiest way to get criticism to your hand. If you just analyze yourself you wont be that self-critical and might even skip a lot of hands and say to yourself oh I played it good.

Also a question: How do I get my password to access the forum? I needed to search from my own profile every time I want to come into my own thread.

Unfortunately there ain't gonna be any password for the forum anymore. The old one is going to be removed soon. You gonna have to use this one, hopefully it's fine. :)
    • funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Have been very busy the past few weeks due to work trips and was away from poker for a while. Now that I'm back I'll try to catch up to the lessons!

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

Simply put, yes I would play differently than how it is indicated in the SHC, especially now that I'm playing SH the action are more dynamic compared to FR. I would play tighter in a looser table and looser on a tight table. Also, compared to the SHC I would steal much more aggressive in the button/SB position especially when there's a tight player/nit to the left of me. Other factors that would make me play differently from the SHC I would think of them as a +EV decision.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

NL4 SH, 86s made flush

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BU     46.32%  37.91%   8.41% { AKo }

46.32%

Homework for lesson 3 and 4 coming up soon!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Plus of course I can't say anything about playing more looser or according table/opponents. In SH it's the main point, that you just can't follow only the chart. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Question 1:

Hmm. Surprisingly KQo vs 33 preflop is dangerously closer than I thought.

Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }
      BU     50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }

On the flop of Js5d3s, the equity changes.

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }
      BU     26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }

Thus on a drawing board vs a made low set, we still have low equity which requires very good pot odds to call if raised.

Question 2:

I'm not very familiar with FR games anymore but I'll give it a try here:

Nut flush draw on a very draw heavy board. According to villain's course of actions up to the turn he should be holding 55, A4s, or any 2 suited clubs. However we're drawing for the nuts here and given a 1:4 pot odds, I'll definitely call the turn here.

Question 3:

NL10 SH, 77 vs missed drawy board

Catching up on the homeworks soon!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.