Staktas

• staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Hello everybody,

I'm staktas from Lithuania. I'm still playing NL2 at Everest. Although, I'm playing SH variant of NL Holdem, but I still learned a lot from Basic school, even for my SH play.

For those who didn't parcitipated in first school, and now are joining this, I can tell you hat activity is the key thing here (and in poker in general). By activity I mean that you have to be active everywhere, not just something like, do homework every week: be active in coachings, ask everything you want to know, discuss everything with fellow school mates ans coaches, and put a lot of volume on the tables, while applying all concepts you learn in school.

Good luck to everyone!
  • 11 replies
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Also, I have some questions for coaches regarding this new school.

I saw that coachings are sheduled even in the end of December. Does that mean that school will go more than 4 months?

Also, in the comments of news article about Basic school, I saw that veriz wrote something about that this time, we won't get points for wrong answers or something like that. Is that true? Also I want to ask if we get to see that sheet, to see how we stand in school (nothing would motivate me more than bein last, I mean motivate to study).

I will edit this post if I have more quesions.
    • Huckebein
      Huckebein
      Bronze
      We will provide a regular coaching coverage for each lesson, but since there are only 8 lessons it will be repetitive. So no worries :)

Does this answer your question?
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Yes, thanks ;)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi staktas,

Congrats to your successfully finished school and welcome to the Beginners School again! :heart:

As you are already experienced, it would be great if you help the beginners a little bit :)

Ingrid
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Thanks, i will try to help as much as i can ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello staktas,

I have been always putting out points. But with this school it will be a bit different than 1st one. We will have more kinda point-system running and if you have interest in that then I can show you. Also if the answer is totally wrong then we give less points. :/

Best regards.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      I think that the part "wrong answer - less points" is totally fine and i could even say that it's very good, at least with me. The fact that I score less points, just motivates me to study more to get better result.

Also, yes, I would like to see that point system :)
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Every time I play, I'm thinking about one thing. That one day, I'll be able to be my own boss, and live from playing poker. That's the only motivation I have, and need. And I know I can reach that. I study a lot. I read and re-read articles, watch and re-watch videos a lot. And that's just because I want to improve. I want to improve to the level, that I can honestly say to everyone, that I'm a poker player, not just stupid fish.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

All this time, I've been thinking about this question. While I play, I'm thinking about it, and try to see my weaknesses. Also read others' answers and searched for the leaks I have. This question, actually, is why it take me so long to do the homework.

Tilt. I don't tilt on suckouts. Why? Because my EV line goes up :) If i would be running below EV for whole month hitting suckout after suckout I wouldn't tilt. My EV is up, I will be even in long term. I'm down, not because I suck at poker, I'm down just because of variance.

The tilt experience is tilt because of bad play. Actually, it doesn't matter if it was bad play or good play - if I'm red - I'm tilting. Ok, actually, just after Homework was released I started to think about my weaknesses, and how i should sort them out. This tilt problem, actually, was first i thought about, and understood that i need to do something. So, I try not to let me tilt. That actually helps, but the "problem" is that in my last week, i didn't had a loosing session. So I'm not sure about that. Any tips are welcome.

I had some more weaknesses, but I managed to sort them out with the help of community on my blog. Like cbetting too much.

Also one big weakness for me is 3bets. I know that i should be able to extract a lot of value by 3 betting more than value range, especially against regs. Any articles, videos, any other material i can absorb helps a ton.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

Tight-aggressive is just what it sounds like. We play with certain (strong) range of starting hands and play them aggressively. Most of the time we are the ones who bet or raise (preflop and postflop). This way we can take everything we can from our Fold equity. And most of the time we even play our draws aggressively, so we are very hard to read for our opponents.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello staktas,

If you don't have loosing sessions then should be happy about it. :> But I am still pretty sure that everyone is at some spot tilting. :( Tilt will happen to everyone of us, we just have to find a way to fight against it. For example using Stop-Loss. :) Also some do like do sports which definitely will remove the tilt affect, for me it's always the case when I come back from gym I do feel really great and ready to take tries again even if I was tilty before. Although nowadays I do tilt a lot less because of the experience and how found the way how to fight against it.

3bets on lower stakes should be pretty easy actually, they are mostly anyways for value. Although in SH that's true that you gonna even 3bet as a bluff and so on. But there is no default chart we could say where to 3bet and where to not. :( Best way to read and watch different kind of videos about that. Discuss with friends, other students. 3bet/4betting is just so wide topic that you could write couple of articles about that and even then it wouldn't be enough, since against different opponents we play them differently.

Best of luck in the Course! First points earned.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Had some troubles, so I couldn't play any poker (more info in my blog). Where I can find recorded couchings to watch? If they're recorded.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by staktas
      Had some troubles, so I couldn't play any poker (more info in my blog). Where I can find recorded couchings to watch? If they're recorded.
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/
      Everything is there. :) Just under the coaching Podcast.