Zareos

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Howdy people!

My name's Norman, and I'm 20. I've been a member of PS.com for a couple years, I blew my initial $50 by being stupid. I "returned" to give poker a better crack of the whip at the start of August. I deposited $8 onto Betfred but then switched to Bodog because I liked it's name. In three weeks my game has improved tremendously. I am excited to be here and take it to the next level.

In three weeks my bankroll has increased to $190. (I came third in a $1K freeroll yesterday which gave me a nice boost). I'm currently playing NL 0.05/0.10 on Bodog and running really well.

I've always been good at maths, and trust my judgement when it comes to sticky situations. I'm eager to improve some more... I want to be able to earn above National Minimum Wage by playing poker - that's the dream!

My idols are Phil Ivey and Jason Mercier. Oh, and Liv Boeree.... :f_love:
  • 15 replies
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I play poker because I enjoy it. It's fun and potentially very profitable. I currently don't have a job so started poker through boredom and having nothing to do during the days. It may be a hobby but I am fully committed to learning and improving.

I'm a law student who is going into my final year at university, so poker gives me a fun opportunity to unwind. It's a tactical game, and I love most "thinking" games. I believe I have the personal attributes to be a good poker player: I have an excellent memory, quick decision making and quick maths skills.

I love poker.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I'm still very new to the PS ways, so I'm certain I have many leaks (luckily they haven't been exploited in the micros so far).

Thus far I don't have sufficient advanced knowledge regarding pot odds, equity, and +ev. I have very, very basic understanding regarding what each of these are and have been able to utilise them satisfactorily in micros. But I am fearful of going up the limits without improving this area greatly.

I tend to just play my own cards and not put my opponents on a range for every hand. Only every now and then do I think "His range would include Ax. Therefore, I should fold my Kings etc..." I want to be able to do this for every hand and have it come naturally.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

A female virgin who likes to fight.

TAG is all about playing a select few hands which are profitable. Selecting your hands ensures you aren't playing with rags and so will have a higher expected value than going for broke with 72o (to use a pretty blatant example).

However, when you play your hands... you make sure you are the aggressor as initiative is one of the most important things in poker. (plus position and your hand). Aggression stems from making you the pre-flop raiser, therefore even if you fail to connect on the flop you may still be able to win with a cbet if the conditions are perfect for a continuation of the aggression by having opponents folding.

In essence TAG is playing a select few strong hands, but playing them strongly when they come.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Norman,

Glad to have you here and Welcome to Beginners Course!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

A female virgin who likes to fight.
      ^^-- this :D

Wish you best of luck at the tables and with your studies!

Looking forward to see you on the forum!
      Ingrid
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Zareos,

Most of the math part we gonna go through and hopefully you will become better in them. Just have to invest some time into it. :)

Playing too much your own cards is pretty standard for most of the beginners. I wouldn't really be sad about that. It will come with time and experience that you will start to concentrate more on the opponent. But of course it wont hurt it you would start at the beginning of your poker career. Later on it would be much easier.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Zareos,

Most of the math part we gonna go through and hopefully you will become better in them. Just have to invest some time into it. :)

Playing too much your own cards is pretty standard for most of the beginners. I wouldn't really be sad about that. It will come with time and experience that you will start to concentrate more on the opponent. But of course it wont hurt it you would start at the beginning of your poker career. Later on it would be much easier.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
      Thank you very much, looking forward to lesson two and the live coaching later on this evening!
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands are to be played?)

I play 6max on partypoker with statistics, I know we're not learning them yet but I often find these invaluable in determining how tight or loose my range shall be.

Is AQo okay from middle position on 6max? Or under-the-gun? Is there a 6-max starting hands chart? I personally think this would be fantastically helpful. I have edited the original SHC to take out the early positions to create my own: "6-max SHC".

Although I'm sure that as we're just starting out, folding AQ from UTG in 6max would be the safest and most profitable course of action.

Another hand I'm uncertain of is AK pre-flop when there is a raise. See Question 2). According to the starting hands chart, I should fold AK to any raise after me as long as it's not a min-raise. I think this is perhaps too tight. In the micros, many players raise or re-raise with QJo or even J10 etc. There are some horrible players out there. I think a straight fold of AK is too tight.

Personally, I think folding AK to a 3-bet should depend on the statistical reads or notes I have on the 3-better.

The starting hands chart has given me invaluable knowledge regarding the strength of certain hands. However it doesn't take into account factors such as:

- Who you are playing
      - Are they tight/aggressive, a donk or something in between?
      - Do they raise pre-flop regularly or as standard?
      - What is their range?

I have the starting hands chart memorized though, and use it along with the knowledge of particular players to hopefully offer some enhanced pre-flop play (for my limit at least). Often I win hands through domination, Aces with a king kicker verses Aces with a 5 kicker and such like.

I also believe we should steal a bit more loosely from CO, SB and BU with low pairs (99-22). Raising from late position may steal the blinds, and would give you initiative on the flop while in position (excluding SB) to make a cbet if the conditions are right and take down the pot even if you don't hit. However, if there has been a raise before we act, then we will follow the Call-20 rule as normal.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

NL4 AKo

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo? ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

46.32% Equity (Also... the Monte Carlo simulation took AGES.... I now know the quicker option. Another lesson learned thanks to the BSS School!)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Is AQo okay from middle position on 6max? Or under-the-gun? Is there a 6-max starting hands chart?

Actually as in 6max there is no UTG anymore but rather MP, which means actually we could even play with AQo from that position. But of course it ain't forced to do that. Can as well play tighter poker. For example I do play with the hand from MP in 6max.

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
      Enjoying the school A LOT... and learned plenty so far!

According to my Poker Tracker, my most profitable hands are - in order of profitability:

QQ
      JJ
      AA

So I definitely understand what you mean when you say: "could even say you earn the most money with them".

Thanks again, and looking forward to tonight's coaching! (And lesson 3 being uploaded :rolleyes: ha)
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      ... Oh, but pocket kings is my worst hand. :(
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      They will change soon enough, if you have a good sample. :)
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free from here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

Done BEFORE week three, I reckon I deserve more points for that! :P

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on the following flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task)

Pre-flop our equity is 50.78%

Post-flop, our equity is 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" is not sufficient)

Firstly, we must calculate our outs. With two clubs on the board, we have the nut-flush draw. I wouldn't count the overcards as strong outs because the board is 2, 3, -, 5, 6... so even if an ace comes on the river, we are behind to any 4x hand. Moreover, if a four comes out on the river, the best we can hope for is a split pot with a 6-high straight, so the ace is of no value in a straight. ( As we raised pre-flop, I doubt someone will have 3 :club: 4 :club: , so I doubt we are facing a straight-flush draw, judging by our opponents actions, I think he has 4x and a made straight.)

We have a flushdraw with 9 outs.

With 9 outs we required 4:1 ordinary pot odds in order to continue. (I have the odds and outs memorised now, I feel like Rainman... except I've never spent special time with Mrs Robinson... shame). We have to invest 0.22 more to the current pot of 0.91. Therefore, we have ordinary pot odds of 4.14:1. We can call profitably, and stand to win even more via implied odds should we call and hit out nut-flush.

HOWEVER...If we take our opponent to have a set, we need to start discounting some outs.... damnit! This means we will have about 7 clean outs (requiring pot odds of 6:1) meaning that we need to make sure we win around 0.40c in implied odds otherwise the call will not be profitable.

If he is likely to go gung-ho (I'm a rhyming muthafucker!), we have the implied odds and can call as well.

Your excel sheet has been awesome so far for me in my private session analysis.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.

JJ (Weird reactions)
      Pocket Kings on Ace high flop
      Two-pair in unraised pot

Over the weekend I'll undoubtably play more and post more hands, so expect me to be annoying you some more Vertz! :f_grin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Also good that my sheet has been a help for you. :)

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

NL5 JJ verses AK board
      NL5 nutflush draw on a 4bet flop
      NL5 flopped set check behind for deception

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

Stakas' JJ

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

41.41% with KQ gutshot draw and overcards verses 58.59% for the pocket 7s
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Been a bit busy recently with Uni work etc, and as this is my finals year that naturally should take priority.

However, when I'm free... I'll play catch up on the lessons!

My bankroll is at it's highest point ever! :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I have also my final year for master degree. :) After that a free man whatever I want to do. :D

That's really great to hear about your BR, but still try to follow the BRM! And it will continue growing. :)

Also you can do the homeworks whenever you have time, don't worry about that. We don't have a time limit.