rudders93

• rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Hey from Aus! Need to fill the gaps in my poker ;)

I'd like to learn a little (actually, learning a lot would be preferred :P ) of everything. I have some basic cash game experience, but i'd love to learn heads up! Have a decent winrate at NL2 online, but I haven't moved up higher primarily due to me stupidly tilting away alot in one poor poor session. Lesson learnt. Time to rebuild ;)

Stay happy
      -rudders
  • 32 replies
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hey rudders,

How's it going down under?

This course doesn't focus specifically on Heads Up play, but you can for sure learn a lot that you can then apply to Heads Up as well. As a rule though, I'd learn to play the normal BSS strategy before moving to HU play.

Glglglglgl with achieving your goals!

Marc
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Hey,

Yeah it's great here lol, just waiting for it to warm up again with summer ;) Also, yep sounds good on learning the BSS properly and filling in the gaps I no doubt have in my play!

--------------

Week 1 Questions:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Essentially it's that it'd be nice if I could play poker as hobby with which I can earn some money on the side. Be a definite win-win situation!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Definitely I tilted once way outside of my bankroll and that caused me some strife with the starting $50 (I went from $75ish down to $2 in the space of very little time at one point, played some large heads up SNGs ... stupid stupid stupid!! Lesson learnt!). Managed to rebuild that slightly back up to around $12 now without having deposited. Still very very poor, but I may actually deposit, or who knows, maybe I might get lucky and get an additional starting bonus as some people have had. Nevertheless, before I do that, I'd like to learn the solid fundamentals of the BSS, I think I have most of the basics understood, but then that might be a false sense of confidence, where those who know little believe they know the most. Actually, my lack of real structured training in poker is likely another large weakness!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Tight-aggressive means playing only hands with which you are likely to be ahead (equity wise) against the other players. No point playing 72o as it's highly likely that over the long run you'll tend to not hit many flops with a strong hand. So tight means playing only premium hands with which you are likely to have the best hand. Aggressive means that you take the initiative and dictate the play by betting for value or by dictating the play with your bet sizing by protecting the flop or by cbetting to continue iniatitive on a dry flop. This is in contrast to just passively calling other's actions.

Thanks!
      -rudders
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello rudders93,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

But obviously overall it's a common mistake how new players are going broke that they just play on too high limits and gamble with their money. Why gambling, since you playing out of your BR. :) But try to stick to the BRM and wont have any problems even building it up.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Mmm, will definitely be sticking to BRM. My tilt would've been fine hadn't I done it NL10 with only 7BI. Lost about 4BI and then sat down for 2 more $11 Heads up. There went ~$62 and ~90% of my bankroll :(

Thanks!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by rudders93
      Mmm, will definitely be sticking to BRM. My tilt would've been fine hadn't I done it NL10 with only 7BI. Lost about 4BI and then sat down for 2 more $11 Heads up. There went ~$62 and ~90% of my bankroll :(

Thanks!
      Yeah, that's why stop-loss is definitely very important. You wont go to play over your BR. Which of course is just gambling your money away. We definitely have to fix that kind of gambling. :(
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Haha yes very true, although I believe it is a lesson learnt and that issue is fixed. Definitely learned to stop, and will do so if I go down 3BI. My last 3k hands on NL2 have so far been fairly consistently winning at ~14BB/100 according to PTR. Hopefully that'll continue and and possibly even improve!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Haha yes very true, although I believe it is a lesson learnt and that issue is fixed. Definitely learned to stop, and will do so if I go down 3BI. My last 3k hands on NL2 have so far been fairly consistently winning at ~14BB/100 according to PTR. Hopefully that'll continue and and possibly even improve!
      Wohoo. Gogogo! I am hoping the best for you, good luck on tables!
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Week 2 Questions:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

Definitely I'd loosen up in the button to steal blinds (provided the blinds aren't the maniacs that are there far to often on my super low stakes) as I've seen that they're not defended often. Winning an extra 1.5bb each orbit is super nice!

Depending on how loose the preflop raiser is I'd expand to calling with cards like KQs, AQ, AJ, ATs. Mostly likely ahead against those people who raise ~35% across all positions on full ring... :O

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

Link: Flop Allin with Trips

Looking back I think I should have probably raised pre-flop to $0.12 try to isolate the limpers. More than likely that I would have taken down the pot with that (and picked up $0.07), and the flop that came would have been perfect for a cbet anyway (if say I'd had pocket 7s instead and had missed).

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

Equity is 46.32% (I took top 5.28% of range)

Cheers ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Blind-stealing actually can give you a lot extra profit. Plus of course playing those kind of positions as CO/BU will usually be the most profitable spots if your postflop skills are good enough, from those positions you will be earning the most money.

Totally agree to play with those type of hands actually. Of course the main problems comes postflop if you just can't lay down your TP and are overplaying it. But if you feel comfortable with such hands then you can perfectly well play with them.

Also you can even consider sometimes Calling with those type of hands against very wide 3bets. :) They are very strong and have many different blockers. That's why as well they are picked for Calling than rather those smaller SCs.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Haha yep!

Week 3 Q. Thought the hand analysis was interesting, I'm interested in what you have to say!

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on the following flop: Js5d3s?

Preflop equity = 50.78%
      Flop equity = 26.46%

So it almost halves :(

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

BU called you preflop, so I think we can put him on a loose range of ~40% due to his position (ie all aces, pairs, suited connectors, 65o+, broadways and maybe K5s+). Probably unlikely that he has some premium hands as if he did he would likely have reraised and most likely has more weight on him having a low pocket / suited connector.

Everyone checks on flop, so no real information on the BU here, except that it's less likely that he has a high pocket (JJ+) because then it would definitely not be in his interest to just check this down - decently draw heavy flop so would have been in his interest to value/protection bet here.

Turn helped the draw (also helped our draw which is good). Given the previous action, I guess the reraise indicates that the BU hit. Most likely a straight (although quite possible that he hit trips). We do however have 9 outs as clubs. Given that it's 22c to play, and if we do hit a club, we have likely have the nuts (unless a full house appears, but what can you do?), so my decision would be to call. I do not think he has a diamond flush draw (otherwise, why the reraise on the turn). Also, if he has a club flush draw, then that's perfect, as we'll take all his money on the river!

Also we have the implied pot odds to call. Chance of hitting our flush is roughly 18%. pot odds are 0.22/1.03 which is slightly lower than our chance of hitting - but then we have large implied odds if we do hit, as opponent will likely continue playing and so they'll hopefully pay us off big

If we miss the clubs, assuming he bets out with more than 1/2 the pot I'd fold. Else I'd try push him all in if we did hit.

Question 3

Top trips on draw heavy board

On the flop, raise to 3/4 or even pot in order stop people from playing draws!
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Purchased HEM today, to try get it cheap before HM2 comes out. See how it helps me.

Sadly, didn't help me today :( . Haven't had much time to play, but today was the worst of my recent sessions. I was going so well, 6 tabling nicely. 6 of my 7 sessions since the 1st of september I ended the session up atleast one buyin.

But not today :( My AI with KK preflop got beat by JJ. Same with my AA...

On the bright side, lost 3 BI and stopped my session. I've learned my lesson about tilt!

Party Poker $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1439981
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.33
      Hero (SB): $2.00 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 12, 3B: 4, AF: 2.1, Hands: 5517
      BB: $0.60
      UTG: $2.27
      UTG+1: $4.05
      UTG+2: $1.17 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 5.5, Hands: 36
      MP1: $0.78
      MP2: $0.98
      CO: $1.81

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with A :spade: K :diamond:
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.24) K :spade: 3 :club: 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, UTG+2 raises to $0.24, Hero raises to $0.95, UTG+2 raises to $1.07, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($2.38) T :club: (2 players)

River: ($2.38) 5 :club: (2 players)

That was a completely stupid play by me. My first biggest mistake was raising halfpot on the flop. Stupid. Never slowplay with anything less than the nut flush. After he re-raised me, I think I should have folded. But I was wondering about this other line, kind of ties into the topic of poker maths, is the a correct analysis for the situation with a raise AI?

If he raises AI then I'll need to call $0.95 to play for a $2.38 pot. Hence my pot odds are ~0.40. Hence I need more than 40% equity to profitably call.

Let's say I put him on a very very tight range on the flop. Say: JJ+,66,33,AK. Unlikely given his preflop call, but that's a pretty strong range. In that case, according to the Equilab I have 49.20% equity and so I would be correct in calling? If I expand his range to the top 10% of hands according to the Equilab slider thingo, then my equity is 82%.

So from that, is my move for trying to get AI actually correct? If say I had pushed him AI, would that have been a +EV move?

BTW, he had J:club: J:heart: so he hit the flush and won the pot

Thanks

(figured I'd post this here rather than hand-evaluation as it's more a rant / hand evaluation evaluation ... if that makes sense lol. But I can post there if you prefer)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

About HEM I can only say that it's definitely gonna help you. :) The more familiar you get with the program the more you will understand that. Try also posting hands. :)

So from that, is my move for trying to get AI actually correct? If say I had pushed him AI, would that have been a +EV move?

Well, nope. :) In long run you will very likely loose rather money unless the guy ain't spewing money. Obviously rather CBet it bigger which could be the reason the guy raises against you. And of course going for 3bet is a bit overplayed anyways. Rather take the passive line.

(figured I'd post this here rather than hand-evaluation as it's more a rant / hand evaluation evaluation ... if that makes sense lol. But I can post there if you prefer)

Well, yep. Would be better if you posted all the hands into Hand Evaluation forums. As you may understand if people start posting all their hands here the thread would become waaaaay to long and hard to read it all through. :) That's also why there is a rule for posting 1hand per thread be the best.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Overall weird week. Not too good on PartyPoker. Decided to play some NL4 for some shorthanded action. See Q1 for my painful hand. Down 1.5BI and I stopped. Going to go back to grinding NL2 until I get atleast 15BI now... Least I'm still up a fair bit for this month even after that (BB wise lol, just playing for pennys cash wise).

I'm planning on doing a little experiment with Party, and am trying to see how far I can get without depositing. That NL4 session was a pretty dumb thing to do. Don't have the bankroll built up yet to withstand hands like in Q1.

Also, saw a neat bonus on 888poker. Deposit $20, got $20 instantly and have a further $20 as a bonus. Been playing some NL6 SH (that's the lowest shorthanded). Need to really work on my postflop play, so been reading through the silver betting articles. Also, playing only 2 tables with NL6, just questioning my every move, unlike the kind of mindless grinding on Party where I 6table but barely learn anything due to the number of players, and me just playing purely for value.

On 888 been trying to bluff a bit more (I almost never bluff on my Party account, except for good flops for cbets). Been working ok, up 1BI over 400 hands after going down 1BI. But will see. Hopefully will be a good learning experience. Wish the software was better though! Will not let me add in a decimal point when typing bet amounts, and they need a bigger, brighter and bolder notification for your move! Doubt I could more than 4table there!

Alright now, Lesson 4 work:

Question 1

AI with top pair/kicker vs Maniac

Had initiative post flop against a maniac. Preflop had reraised, possibly should have reraised more to 4x the raise. Pushed AI for value. He had called me with 76o. Ouch!

Question 2
      Enjoyed this one. Hopefully my analysis wasn't all wrong lol, otherwise would be quite awkward!

Weird Spot for Top Set

Was my analysis correct? Especially the maths calculations?

Question 3

41.41% equity
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

Well, obviously playing over the BR is just the dumbest thing. :) You will just in long run gamble away the money. Rather don't try it.

About bluffing I can only say that don't try that on those stakes. Not worth! They wont fold their hands anyways! Just play straight forward and value-hands mainly.

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Haha yeah that's true.

With Question 2, if you have time, could you look over my analysis. Was I correct in my maths and the recommendations I offered from that?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Haha yeah that's true.

With Question 2, if you have time, could you look over my analysis. Was I correct in my maths and the recommendations I offered from that?
      Yeah, sure.

There are usually few things to follow in those calculations:
      1) How much we have to Call and how big is the pot. Which gets us the equity:
      a) Total Pot = $8,25 (0,97 + 0,65 + 1,6 + 5,03)
      b) To Call = $4,38
      c) Equity = $4,38/($8,25+$4,38) = ~35% equity.

2) What kind of ranges do we give the opponent? Also we have to calculate 2 ranges while one guy is small-stack.
      a) MP2/MP3/BU (Pot 1)
      Pot Size: $2*3 = $6

Board: 8:heart: 4:heart: 5:diamond:  2:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    33.68%  33.68%   0.00% { 8s8c }
      MP3     9.31%   6.87%   2.44% { 99+, 55-44, A3s, A3o }
      BU     57.01%  54.57%   2.44% { 55-44, 22, A3s, 76s, A3o, 76o }

Worst case for us:
      0,337 * $6 = $2,02

b) MP2/BU (Pot 2)
      Pot size: ($12,63 - $6 = $6,63)

Board: 8:heart: 4:heart: 5:diamond:  2:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    39.08%  39.08%   0.00% { 8s8c }
      BU     60.92%  60.92%   0.00% { 55-44, 22, A3s, 76s, A3o, 76o }

0,391 * $6,63 = $2,60

Our winnings = $2,02 + $2,60 = $4,62

We have to invest on turn = $4,38

$4,62 >> $4,38

Conclusion: Even if we took very STRONG range you can see that the Call in long run is bringing us profit. :) Although if we widen up the range it will change a lot for our side.

But of course this was kinda harder part of math. :D Just wanted to show you what you were trying to explain there. While you didn't took into account the stack sizes. :)
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Ah i see now. Thanks!!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Ah i see now. Thanks!!!
      You are welcome. :) But ye, if you have any questions feel free to ask. This kind of stuff is definitely rather hard to understand for you. If you even didn't understand then don't be sad about it, it's more advanced stuff. Could say even Platinum+.
    • rudders93
      rudders93
      Bronze
      Haha, that's all good. I'll make sure I'll understand it ;)

Started playing SnGs to clear that PartyPoker bonus. Was getting a poor, but reasonable 5% ROI over ~170 SnGs, then today horrible downswing. In the Push or Fold phase, my AA got cracked (I had pushed preflop) 4 times. And a bunch of other ridiculous things. Now my ROI is -2% :( And I'm 8 SNG buyins below EV. Ouch :(

My graph was a wonderful, trending up graph. Now there's a horrible fall :( Happens I guess... Had a look, all of my pushes were correct according to the ICM trainer...