gnawhalak

• gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      wow.. i'm very excited to finally be a part of this course, as I was not accepted during the first time it was introduced.

Hello.

I'm gnawhalak.. I'm from the Philippines. I started playing poker at zynga last year, got hooked and looked for better places to play.

was able to get my free bonus here at pokerstrategy, and lost it all at fulltilt.. deposited some more and was able to play micro limits for sometime. then FT went busto and I lost everything again just as I was learning better BRM..

now, I deposited around minimum in another website, hoping to grind it bigger so I could start again to a bigger site and take advantage of the start up bonus.

why i joined this course:

I was able to read some of the articles in the site. But now, I want to join this course since I know it could discipline me to follow it religously and learn the things I did wrong before when I started to learn the game on my own.

am looking forward to make the most of this course and hopefully come out more knowledgeable and be a more solid poker player with a strong foundation..

goodluck to us!

thanks pokerstrategy.. :P
  • 5 replies
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hey gnawhalak,

That's a great attitude to learning right there! I'm sure you'll go very far with the course if you stay disciplined about your learning.

Good luck!

Marc
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      glad to be back and finally got the time to do my homework after a long week of doing office work..

i'm glad of this new format so I could still catch up whenever I can..

well.. here goes..

HOMEWORK 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I would like to drive my first CAR from poker and paint it with some poker artwork.. :tongue:

well, I got a stable job and have a couple of small business ventures on the side.. I'm quite a busy person, but I'm the type of person who always looks for a good challenge, and I don't usually stop until I get to a level I'm good at it and excel on that challenge..

why the car? .. we'll I would just like to show it off as my trophy and be proud of my accomplishment with online poker, and prove to a lot of people that poker is not all about gambling.. it's a game of skill :P

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think my biggest mistake is since I started playing poker as a stress reliever.. I think I'm playing at the worst time to play poker.. since I had the tendency to tilt, or maybe play 'til my eyes closed and get to sleep.. :(

also, I think it's my weakness for being too competitive that everytime a lose even just a bit.. I work so hard to get it back right away. sometimes, at the cost of playing bad hands.. this is already tilting right?

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

playing tight-aggressive is waiting for the right cards preflop and then be aggressive post flop when I mostly have the edge..

"right" cards is affected by:
      1. my position on the table
      2. which opponent I am against to
      3. my current image on the table
    • gnawhalak
      gnawhalak
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

Now, after reading this, I guess I answered it ahead during my first homework.. but i'll add a bit more after thinking about it

1. my position on the table
      2. which opponent I am against to
      3. my current image on the table
      4. depending how the table currently plays, (loose, tight, aggressive table)
      5. my skill level playing post flop

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

call 4-bet PF mistake?

that is the link my hand which I played wherein I think I made the mistake PF of calling the 4bet from my opponent and putting myself in a tight situation on the flop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

46.324% .. done this using equilator
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

But yep, if you are starting to play too many hands hands this is usually a sign of tilt and which you rather should avoid by maybe taking a break.

Although I wouldn't say that being competitive is really bad thing. It's actually the thing which helps you to improve and move on faster. You are trying beat the best by being the best. :) Although in poker we have to draw a line between that since we have to adjust to everything. Read above how to put a adjustment against tilt for example.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

It seems that you already starting to understand which are the most important aspects in poker. The very first one is actually the most important, to have position. Usually playing OOP is pretty hard and you will practically do a lot of mistakes. That's also why SHC is advices rather to play LP and having position. :)

All the other comments are also totally true, that it really depends on many different situations. But now we just have to find a way to put that into your game. Just writing down those kind of things ain't enough. Lets hope we will be able to do that or maybe you even started and already have most of them?

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.