anhvusa

• anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi everybody!

I'm anhvusa. I've been playing poker just for a year until now. At first, I took poker just like a funny game. Accidently I've known Pokerstrategy.com and got the first $50 capital on Fultilt, but I still didn't play poker properly and considered just as a hobby. When FT was shut down, I didn't play poker until I got another $50 freeroll on Partypoker. And this time has changed, I was back to read some articles deeply, tried to get something that could help my strategy. I often play NL2 FR on PS, but haven't made a noticeale change in my game. Sometimes I'm on tilt and got bad beats, sometimes I can analyze clearly but can't help resisting from seeing showdown. Maybe I haven't understand completely and haven't played with a proper strategy. So I come to this school to take guidance from honorable coaches and experienced friends. Hopefully, I can improve my game after 8 weeks, and can go up higher limits.
  • 38 replies
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hey anhvusa,

I'm positive that if you work hard and concentrate on your game, you'll learn a great deal from the course and be able to control your tilt and 'must see showdown' issues.

Glglglglgl!

Marc
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Thanks Marc for the words that encourage me so much! :)

Although I don't have much time too much after work, but I will try my best as I can to keep up with the school and improve my games much better!

Best regard!

anhvusa
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

At the time when I'm asking myself that What makes me want to play poker the most? I can jot down many things in poker that make me feel like I want to join the game immediately. But here are the things that I think they are the main reasons that can answer the question "Why do play poker?" reasonably:

+ Fun: Not only winnings make me feel happy, but in sometimes it's funny when I can see how fool I am, or just see the way that the other players communicate with each others through the game.

+ Mindset: I've found myself that poker is not a just a simple cards game. It's like an arena where players not only use their skills, experience (ofc luck somehow) to achieve winning, but sometimes they have to lay down to let their apponent win a hand to make them safe in the long run. Therefore, I can learn myself some lessons that can help me in my real life ie. analying skills, thinking carefully before making decisions, controlling my emotions etc.

+ Money: having alot of money from winning that can make my life comfortable somehow, but above all it's also one of the measurements that judge how well i played. At the beginner of poker, I think my first goal is to build and manage a solid BR that can make me to move up higher limits.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

After read the articles for the 1st lesson, I realized that I still lack of many things that make my games improve, and I consider them as my weaknesses. Here is some of them:

+ Tilt: I got tilt easily esp after play for a long period (like 3-4 continuing hours).

+ Experience: Sometimes I've caught in difficult situations and made wrong decisions. I think I should play much more to get experience. (I still wonder whether 1-2hrs/day is enough for me to get experience in poker?)

+ Playing at the wrong momments: after get drunk or after a hard working day.

+ I'm the kind of the ones who like to see the showdown so bad, though sometimes I could analyze and realize how strong my opponent was, but... I can't help it.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Tight-aggressive playing is a playing style in which you play with your carefully selected cards with a aggressive route (check/raise, bet/raise, bet/push) in that can put your opponents into difficult situation and hardly make decisions. This playing style also can keep you safe for a limit (b/c you carefully select cards to play). Hence, in my opinion, tight-aggressive playing style is like a "sword" that can make you win, but it's also like a "shield" to keep you safe in the game.

English is not my mother tounge so it's quite tough for me to express all things that I want to say. So take it easy! :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello anhvusa,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Playing drunk is just horrible. It's usually the case that you are either way too aggressive, some even are too nitty. I wouldn't recommend playing poker when drunk. Unless you have a BR and you can play very small-stakes. :)

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi veriz! :)

Thank you for your points and your priceless advices that would help me improve my playing style too much. I've tried (not too much, but enough) and realized that the stop-loss tech helped me somehow and brought me a lot of benefit in BR building and I appreciate it.

Best regards,

anhvusa
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

I think I could play differently than how it is in the BSS SHC because of those reasons:

+ SHC doesn't mention in detail how much we could bet/raise/re-raise in a particular situation like how many players get in to play?How much is the mount they bet/raise?

+ SHC also doesn't show what kind of players whom we're dealing with?But in reality, we've faced alot of many kinds of players, so we should be more flexible in our playing style.

Therefore, I would change and play in an open range hands (not so wide) with these kinds of hands like: gap hands (1 or 2 gap suited connectors), King-high or even Queen-high.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

AKs poorly played
      Ac3d overplayed/tilted?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

46.32% (using Equilab)

I have some questions in my head, but still haven't found anwsers for:

1. I quite don't understand clearly about the equity in poker? are the equity and the winning chance (in %) the same? or they're different from each others?

2. How long is enough for a session (cash game) ideally?( bc I don't have time too much to spend on poker!)

Welcome and thanks in advance for any answers from anybody!

Best regards,

anhvusa
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally correct to play not just according the chart. In future if you are more experienced you will be playing anyways rather wider range. Although for just the beginning I'd rather still try to stick to the hands which are the most easiest way to earn money and get the understanding of your postflop play. :)

1. I quite don't understand clearly about the equity in poker? are the equity and the winning chance (in %) the same? or they're different from each others?

Yep, exactly. Equity = How often you gonna win against villain.

2. How long is enough for a session (cash game) ideallyconfused bc I don't have time too much to spend on poker!)

Depends how much free time you have? You can separate your sessions, some play few hours, some play just a hour some maybe even less, somebody even more.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi coach, :)

Thanks for the points and the answers that help and motivate me somehow.

I still have some questions in my head. I've tried to search the reasonable and completely explanation for the equity in poker, but I didn't get too much or wasn't satisfied with their explaination (or maybe it's hard for me to understand :( ) so can you help me with these questions, coach:

1. What is equity calculation based on? (IMP, I think it comes from the odds, but... cannot explain why and how to calculate it.)

2. Without using Equilab or Equilator, can we have a formula, or a system (or sth like that) that could help us estimate briefly our hands on each street? How do you calculate your hand's equity when you play?

3. What is the meaning behind put our opponents's hands on range when we calculate equity? Can we have the equity our hands without using this info, the opponents' range hands?

Maybe I'm annoying you with those most basic things that I've should known in Poker, but actually I don't understand completely these issuses. Pleas help me coach and anyone who can help me!

Thanks and best regards,

anhvusa
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1. What is equity calculation based on? (IMP, I think it comes from the odds, but... cannot explain why and how to calculate it.)

Have you tried the Glossary? Check out this link:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/Equity/
      If you still can't understand then I give you my explanations about it. :)

2. Without using Equilab or Equilator, can we have a formula, or a system (or sth like that) that could help us estimate briefly our hands on each street? How do you calculate your hand's equity when you play?

Mainly those kind of calculations and automatic play will come with experience. You have to analyze a lot of hands and of course post a lot of hands to be good at that. But for example if you really want to calculate the equity your hand gets, you can for example do this:

Amount of outs x 4 – Amount of outs – 8 = Your Equity

On flop we have OESD, which means 8 outs:
      (8 outs) x 4 - (8 outs) - 8 = 32% equity. This is the conclusion of equilab:

Board: 8:spade: 9:heart: 3:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    31.82%  30.61%   1.21% { JhTc }
      UTG+1  68.18%  66.97%   1.21% { JJ }

But mainly as I described all those kind of situations I have learned from different kind of hand evaluations and analyzing my own hands.

3. What is the meaning behind put our opponents's hands on range when we calculate equity? Can we have the equity our hands without using this info, the opponents' range hands?

We do get the answer if we are ahead against his range or not. If we can do the shove profitable or if we can Call it profitable. Yes, of course we can predict opponents range even without using any stats or anything. But it's harder.

You are not annoying me at all. This course is exactly for those kind of questions or whatever type of questions you have. Don't hesitate to ask them!
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi coach, :)

Thanks for answering my questions in short time and giving me some helpful advice. I enjoy the class so much. From your given link and searching in PS Forum, I've found something that's concerned to my questions. Here is what I can get about Equity:

Odds = #unuseful cards : #helpful cards
      Pot odds = Current pot : amount to call = x : y (does it mean we're going to lose x times, and win y times?)

Pot equity (or Equity needed to call) = (amount to call) / (current pot + amount to call)

Am I right?

And If so am I, I'm still wondering what do we base on to compare to Pot equity to decide to stay in the hand (call/bet/raise)?How is it calculated?

Amount of outs x 4 – Amount of outs – 8 = Your Equity

I think it should be like this: (amount of outs x 4) - (amount of outs -8) = Equity

I've used this formula in Equilab test, but sometimes it can give us a big difference from the real Equity. (even +/- 20-30%)

One more thing I want to ask you is: Do we have the record of live Coaching week #3? If so, when can I find this video? (I ask you this favor because my ISP has got prob with their system, so the speed connection of my internet is damned slow, and it isn't convinient to catch up with the live coaching and watching videos for lessons. I hope they'll fix soon)

Thanks and best regards

anhvusa,

PS: your coachings are very great and very helpful with beginners like me! Thanks so much, coach!
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :heart: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on the following flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

The preflop equity of K :spade: Q :spade: against 3 :heart: 3 :club: is: 50.78%
      The equity changes on the following flop J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: is: 26.46%
      (Using the Equilab)

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No-Limit hold'em $2 (9 handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG:
      $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club: .
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond:( 3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We've got FD on the turn, so we have 9 outs to count on. Therefore, we've got 4:1 odds. The total of the pot now is 0.25 + 0.22 + 0.44 = 0.91. If we call, we have to pay 0.22 more, so the pot odds now is 0.91 : 0.22 ~ 4.13 : 1 ( higher than the odds 4 : 1) and it's profitable for us to make a call. That's the case we just count on our outs.

If we put our opponent on a range like he's holding A4+ or K4s or even 44+, we would discount some outs that could give our opponent a made hand which could beat ours. Therefore, we would discount 4 :club: out of 9 outs for FD. So, we have left 8 outs -> 4.75 : 1 odds (higher than the pot odds 4.13 : 1) and we miss ~ 0.62 odds (equally ~ $ 0.14) to make it reasonable to CALL.

Conclusion, we can make a CALL here (a "crying" call) and hopefully we can make our hand in the next street.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.

QQ bad played post-flop
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Pot equity (or Equity needed to call) = (amount to call) / (current pot + amount to call) Am I right?

Yes, pot equity is calculated like this.

I've used this formula in Equilab test, but sometimes it can give us a big difference from the real Equity. (even +/- 20-30%)

Well, that's the problem with those easy formulas, they ain't made for correct answers. :) Which one gave you that wide difference?

One more thing I want to ask you is: Do we have the record of live Coaching week #3? If so, when can I find this video?

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/
      From there you can find the Coaching podcasts for every week.

I am glad to get such a great feedback. :) If you have anything to add to the coaching then drop by: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=146167
      It's a feedback thread for the Coaching.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi veriz,

I'm very happy you've replied my questions with many helpful info and instruction and I appreciate your giving points (though I haven't made too much :D ) for motivating me. I enjoy the class and am looking forward to next lessons.

Well, that's the problem with those easy formulas, they ain't made for correct answers. Which one gave you that wide difference?

I've used this formula while taking the Equity Training session:

(Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

But the problem is I wonder whether I did it right or didn't calculate the right number of outs to take the estimated Equity?

For example (I use the option: random vs. random)

Hero: Q :club: Q :diamond: and the Flop is:K :spade: 4 :heart: 3:club:
      I counted my outs: 2 left Q + 3 left K + 3 left 4 + 3 left 3 = 11 outs total. By applying above formula, I got my Equity is 41%. But the exact Equity is 75.9% and the absolute difference is: 40.3%. I don't understand whether I miscounted my outs or... something is different from calculating the Equity of my hand? (Though I know it's quite hard to calculate the exact Equity, but estimating it with a acceptable difference can be better!)

Can you give some clues or explaination about Equity, coach?

Anyway, I'm very thankful for your evaluation of my homework. I've learned something from your comment. It's very useful for me to develop my playing.

Thanks and best regards,

anhvusa
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi coach :D

Sorry for being late for handling the homework lesson. Giving a little try than nothing, so here it is:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop.

A7 trouble with FOLD

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Nl10 SH monster draw

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :heart: 7 :club: . What is your equity in this spot?

Using Equilab:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP1    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

My own calculation (based on the formula (#outs x 4) - (#outs - 8))

38% (3 remaining Ks, 3 remaining Qs and 4 Ts in total can help our hand)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

About the previous equity calculations. Yep, that's not correct. I don't really see for what you would need all the cards. :D But the 2nd formula use seems to be correct. :) As you see it's almost the same as equilab.

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Hi coach! :)

Thanks for the points and the comments on my posts!

Question about the Equity: Do I really need to count all the cards? (in my opinion, the cards that help our hand, aka outs)

For the lessons of the course, recently I've spend quite alot of time to read the articles and watch videos. I'm very regretful to miss the live coaching week 5 (As you know, the time is quite different from others' areas, so it's quite late for me to attend the coaching, but I'll still looking forward to the next live coachings, they're very helpful and there are many things I can learn from those. I like them! :D ).

Actually I can understand quite completely (~80-95%) the concepts with examples in the articles and the videos, but the problem of mine is... it's quite hard and complicated to apply what I've learned and read into the game properly. After a session, I did the session review, still found many mistakes that can ruin my games. Can you suggest me a way to get through this prob, coach? I'm very greateful to receive helpful tips from you, coach! And welcome all the construction feedback! :)

Thanks and best regards,

anhvusa
    • anhvusa
      anhvusa
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

NL2 Str8 nut vs 3 of Ts on Flop

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Nl2 hand

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7 handed)

Stacks & Stats:

UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 :diamond: , 7 :diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 :diamond: , 3 :heart: , T :diamond:( 3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J :diamond:( 3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

In this case, I should Fold, because my made flush is quite low and the SB has made a move after checking on flop, it means he hit his flush draw. He can beat us with a higher diamond like even 8 :diamond: or 9 :diamond: , and, of course, he's a TAG, his range is more narrow and can beat us with Q :diamond: , K :diamond: or even A :diamond: . IMP, Fold in this situation is not a big mistake with a medium hand and with opponents like this.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

Stacks & Stats

UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J :heart: , J :spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 :heart: , 9 :spade: , T :club:( 2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

In this situation, after the 3bet on Flop of the BU, as the aggressor as we can put him on range based on his HUD stats, with a giving few draws board like this, I would take action and make a small bet myself OOP (~1/2 potsize) when v.s a aggressor like this, and would Fold to a big raise of his, if he does. In case he calls, go ahead, see the river card and take the next decision.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Question about the Equity: Do I really need to count all the cards? (in my opinion, the cards that help our hand, aka outs)

Well, depends really on the situation. Where you got the equity calculations wrong then there you didn't need to add all the cards you put. But in this case you see that all the outs which did help you and after that you even did calculate it correctly. :)

Good that you like the coachings. Any feedback would be of course welcome. If you have any feel free to hop in the Coaching Thread and post some comments. :) They ain't only for me but also other Headadmins check the coachings and do their own conclusions from them.

After a session, I did the session review, still found many mistakes that can ruin my games. Can you suggest me a way to get through this prob, coach?

Well, time fixes those kind of leaks. Also of course don't forget to continue doing post-session analyzes. Don't forget to post hands, don't forget to discuss with others. But mainly the idea is to force/force/force yourself so you will remember the things, get used to it. When you play through the things more than once then you practically will remember it. :) If everything wont come with one time then don't worry about that, you are still human, we can't remember everything with just one time reading through.